TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an oil and filter change on my '96 XR7 3.8 V6.
The Mechanic filled the crankcase with 5W-20 oil, and an Autocraft oil filter. Did he use the correct grade of oil? Is The filter of good quality?

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
For the oil - what does the owner's manual say? My copy of the service manual specifies 5W30 for normal usage; 10W30 if the coldest will stay above 0F. So I'd swap to 5W30 next oil change. The brand is somewhat important also - for that, I'd scan through BobIsTheOilGuy.COM and see what he recommends that's local to you (I have been using Motorcraft 10W40 in my 1991, which is a recommended weight for it ... but am now using Valvoline High Mileage 10W40 due to the increasing price and difficulty getting Motorcraft SynthBlend 10W40 around here.)

Autocraft - I stick with Motorcraft myself, although I've just swapped to a FL-300 from the FL1A that my 1991 5.0HO specifies (the FL-300 is 1" shorter, but also fits the Dakota, so since I get a quantity discount ... )

RwP

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
For what it's worth, I use 10W30 for my 4.6 V8.

Filter? Does the 3.8 V6 need a filter with an anti-drainback valve?

My 4.6 needs an anti-drainback valve, to prevent "dry start" knock. My shop uses "Brand-X" filters that cause a knock on start up. You would think they should know better. They probably do, but they save many thousands of $$$ by using aftermarket parts.

I do my own oil changes and use a Motorcraft FL820S filter. I think the equivalent for your 3.6 is the FL400S(?)

A Motorcraft oil filter costs about $2-3 more than aftermarket filters. Why would I try to save $2-3??

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
It may not NEED one, but it sure should HAVE one.

It's got cam bearings, they're just in the block, not above the head.

RwP

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
A Motorcraft oil filter costs about $2-3 more than aftermarket filters.
If that's the case, you're overpaying. Check out Amazon. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If that's the case, you're overpaying. Check out Amazon. :wink2:
Yes, Amazon has good prices, and free shipping for "prime" members.

I said about $2-3 more for a Motorcraft filter, but that was just an estimate. Any time a price is mentioned, someone will say they got a better deal. :)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
filter

:wavey:

$3 is nothing. Price an engine.

I run RACING filters. Motorcraft racing is good.
I also run 20w50. BUT that is for racing!:headbang:

5w30 should be correct.
what's the milage?

:zbench:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts