TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., my 1997 Thunderbird burns oil. It's not a terrible problem but it bothers me and I'd like to do what I can (within reason, of course) to reduce that problem. I didn't realize the problem was as bad as it is (I'd say it burns about 2 quarts in approx 1,000 miles) until I was waiting to pick my step-daughter up from where she works a couple of weeks ago. It was hot outside and I was sitting in my T-Bird with the engine idling and the A/C on (thank God THAT still works!). There was a dark red car parked next to mine and, after a short time idling, I happened to notice smoke coming from my exhaust and being blown by the wind in between the two cars. I realized that it was most likely from my engine burning oil and I don't particularly like the fact that was occuring.

My question is, considering that my T-Bird has 146,000 miles on it - what is most likely causing it to burn oil, especially when idling? Worn valve guides, maybe?

Other than that, the engine runs GREAT! This 1997 T-Bird with 146,000 miles on the clock runs as good as or better than my 2004 Mercury Sable (had 90,000 miles on it's 24-valve Duratec V-6) that I got rid of when I bought this.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
From what I've read on here in the past, it seems like leaky valve seals is a common problem with the 4.6 motors. I lose less than a quart every 1,000 miles most likely due to that.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My 94 had that problem at 200K+ miles and while I normally don't recommend "additives", I had very, very good luck with Valvoline MaxLife oil. It took about three oil changes (9000 miles total) for it to noticeably help, but it sure cut down on the smoke.

You might try that before jumping into a head swap, or at the least a seal swap.

p.s. I replied to your question about my heads on eBay. Thanks for the interest! :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought it was NPI heads that had the valve seal issue and on the PI heads, it was repaired...97 should have PI heads, IIRC. In any case, Lucas Oil additave will help much but it will take about 2-4 days. Get the stuff warm (put bottle in a sink of hot water for about 5-10 min) and pour it in.

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
I don't think PI heads weren't introduced until 99, and then only on certain vehicles. The rest of the 4.6 2V gang got PI heads in 01.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I thought it was NPI heads that had the valve seal issue and on the PI heads, it was repaired...97 should have PI heads, IIRC...
Not even close. 96 and 97's have heads that are better than the 95 and older modulars but the problem was not fixed.

I don't think PI heads weren't introduced until 99, and then only on certain vehicles. The rest of the 4.6 2V gang got PI heads in 01.
Actually in '99 only the Mustang GT's got PI heads. In '01 they started using PI heads when the NPI's were used up so some vehicles have them while others of the same model may not. '02 is the year that they started using PI motors for everything.

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
Ah yes... I knew I was messing something up (besides my grammar :D).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts