TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aight i changed my oil tofay using valvoline synthetic 10-30 and put 4 quarts in. Now i am smoking like crap and smelling like crap. Now when i pulled off the filter some oil got on some stuff like the sway bar and air dam. What could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
What could be causing this ?

Is this the 1st time you changed the filter ?

Unless you wrap the "stuff" underneath the oil filter with plastic or foil, then the oil is going to splash down on everything, and eventually find it's way onto the exhaust pipes.

There is no real easy way to change the filter, unless you install a remote filter kit.

Also, you should be adding 5 qts. of oil, with the filter change.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I WAS A RETARD!!:zdunno: :zdunno: i thought it had to have 4 quarts of oil but after reading the manual i was suddenly enlightened to the fact that i had to have 5. I guess thats what i get for changing my moms oil too much. Dont mind me...im a retard. Sorry for the trouble. I just kinda freaked out when i got home today and smelt that frying smell. Thank you for your PROMPT response.:bowdown:

·
8,239 Posts
hmm, yep its 5 quarts. I'm not a big valvoline fan anyway.

I had a jetta that used to take 4 liters of oil, boy was that fun doing a conversion when you bought the 5 quart jug.

JH

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
My last oil change took 14 quarts. Of course I buy my oil by the gallon. :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sir William said:
My last oil change took 14 quarts. Of course I buy my oil by the gallon. :D
So you change the oil in everything all at once? That's an idea... but I don't rack up the miles equally. So I'd be wasting much oil.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
where does everyone buy oil in 5 quart jugs? Iv been looking for Mobil 1 that way and no one has it and no one has ever hear of it

·
Registered
789 Posts
Wal Mart has it in 5qt jugs

·
Registered
663 Posts
My last oil change required 38 quarts... Of course, that was on my work truck! :)

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
autozone sells exxon superflow, havoline, generic, and valvoline synblend in the 5qt jugs by me.. everything else by the case of 12.

i need to buy oil for my g/f kia (3.2 qts), my sisters Zx2 (5qts!! WTF??), the windstar (5qts i think, don't remember), and my nova every 4 months (5qts, + 1 lucas).

i don't change the Tbird myself, but i have to buy that too every 5000 miles, synthetic in the birdie and the nova

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
ZackG said:
gecko2424, mobil 1? Hmm our walmart must be laggin behind then.
The Super Wal-Mart's out here in ABQ have the huge jugs of Mobil 1 as well. I'd talk to some people and see why they're lagging behind....then again, it is Wal-Mart.

Warped, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of what takes 38 quarts, would ya? :leftright

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey i have got another problem...i new it was burning off too much. Whenever i crank up it starts leaking from under the car. Could the filter just be too loose or what. It does not leak when the car is off though.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
tbirdracer97 said:
Hey i have got another problem...i new it was burning off too much. Whenever i crank up it starts leaking from under the car. Could the filter just be too loose or what. It does not leak when the car is off though.
Double check both the drain plug (on the oil pan) and the filter. It needs to be on there nice and tight.

Did you put a small dab of fresh motor oil on the oil filter gasket?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i tightened them both hand tight then one good turn with a wrench and i did put some of the old oil on the black rubbery part of the new filter.

·
Registered
627 Posts
tbirdracer97 said:
i tightened them both hand tight then one good turn with a wrench and i did put some of the old oil on the black rubbery part of the new filter.
OK... here's a kicker. Did you ensure that the black rubbery part of the old filter? If not, and you have two gaskets on there, it will definitely run itself out of oil. It will not seal like that at all.

(hard lesson learned from experience)

·
Registered
663 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:

Warped, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of what takes 38 quarts, would ya? :leftright
No but I can tell ya that it's a '01 Mack 350hp engine. :) 38 quarts is nothing in a truck. A '88 Kenworth I used to drive took 62 quarts and had three oil filters... The '01 Mack only has two oil filters.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Warped said:

No but I can tell ya that it's a '01 Mack 350hp engine. :) 38 quarts is nothing in a truck. A '88 Kenworth I used to drive took 62 quarts and had three oil filters... The '01 Mack only has two oil filters.
yeah, but what is the mileage interval, 15K miles?

·
Registered
663 Posts
GreenBird said:

yeah, but what is the mileage interval, 15K miles?
7500 for the Mack and thats based on the "severe service" factory recommendations. By the time it hits 7500 miles on the oil it's fairly dirty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts