TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have said it before, I am not a mechanic... Can someone please post a real simple easy walk through of the steps? Yeah, I have never done it before, never seen someone do it, or had any education... But I figure what the hey, might as well give it a shot right? I have all the tools (drain bucket and "wrench"(my hand)) and am just not sure how to do it. Thank you in advance...

Sam

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please someone entertain yourself with insulting me with and answer :) Was hoping to do tonight... I will probably do it without any response, however responses would save me from having to post a sob story about how I F'ed everything up... See I have such a high opinion of myself, you can't help but jot down a quick response...

Sam

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ok, its not hard at all

1) raise the front end of the car up (or front corner). Do not use your spare tire jack, get ramps or a real jack with jackstands.

2) open your hood, and unscrew the oil cap on the vlavle cover.

3) Put pan under oil pan underneath the car.

4) Unbold the screw that is at the bottom of the oil pan, oil will run out.

5) Remove the filter, its kinda a pain in the butt to get to the first time. It has to go through a "path", and you'll end up damping the oil filter contents out.

6) Screw in a new MOTORCRAFT (not fram) oil filter. Hand-tighten it.

7) Lower car

8) Fill up the car with 5qts of oil. I use 5w30 Castrol GTX - others use other oils

9) Screw the cap back on the valve cover

10) Run the car for a minute, then shut if off and check the oil with the dipstick, it should be fine with 5 qts.

-Andrey

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Women:

1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube 3000 miles after the last oil change.
2. Drink a cup of coffee.
3. Fifteen minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Men:

1. Go to O'Reilly auto parts and write a check for 50 dollars for oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and scented tree.
2. Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.
3. Open a beer and drink it.
4. Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5. Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7. Place drain pan under engine.
8. Look for 13mm box end wrench.
9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
10. Unscrew drain plug.
11. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil; get hot oil on hand in the process.
12. Clean up.
13. Have another beer while oil is draining.
14. Look for oil filter wrench.
15. Give up; poke oil filter with Phillips head screwdriver and twist it off.
16. Beer.
17. Buddy shows up. Finish case with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
18. Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car, dump in hole in back yard.
19. Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during steps 11, 15, & 18.
20. Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
21. Walk to 7-11 and buy beer.
22. Install new oil filter making sure to apply thin coat of clean oil to gasket first.
23. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24. Remember drain plug from step 11.
25. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan. Pan is empty. Find drain plug in back yard hole.
26. Hurry to replace drain plug as last drop of fresh oil drains onto floor.
27. Slip with wrench and bang knuckles on frame.
28. Bang head on bumper in reaction.
29. Begin cussing fit.
30. Throw wrench.
31. Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1982) in the left boob.
32. Clean up. Apply Band-Aid to knuckle.
33. Beer.
34. Beer.
35. Dump in additional 4 quarts of oil.
36. Beer.
37. Lower car from jack stands.
38. Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
39. Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 26.
40. Drive car a quart low for 7000 miles when it'll be time for another oil change.

Ok, for the real way check out this link.
Things might be in slightly different locations because its not exactly our car but it should be close. the idea is right though.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn40th
Men:

1. Go to O'Reilly auto parts and write a check for 50 dollars for oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and scented tree.
2. Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.
3. Open a beer and drink it.
4. Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5. Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7. Place drain pan under engine.
8. Look for 13mm box end wrench.
9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
10. Unscrew drain plug.
11. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil; get hot oil on hand in the process.
12. Clean up.
13. Have another beer while oil is draining.
14. Look for oil filter wrench.
15. Give up; poke oil filter with Phillips head screwdriver and twist it off.
16. Beer.
17. Buddy shows up. Finish case with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
18. Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car, dump in hole in back yard.
19. Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during steps 11, 15, & 18.
20. Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
21. Walk to 7-11 and buy beer.
22. Install new oil filter making sure to apply thin coat of clean oil to gasket first.
23. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24. Remember drain plug from step 11.
25. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan. Pan is empty. Find drain plug in back yard hole.
26. Hurry to replace drain plug as last drop of fresh oil drains onto floor.
27. Slip with wrench and bang knuckles on frame.
28. Bang head on bumper in reaction.
29. Begin cussing fit.
30. Throw wrench.
31. Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1982) in the left boob.
32. Clean up. Apply Band-Aid to knuckle.
33. Beer.
34. Beer.
35. Dump in additional 4 quarts of oil.
36. Beer.
37. Lower car from jack stands.
38. Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
39. Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 26.
40. Drive car a quart low for 7000 miles when it'll be time for another oil change.
:uppoint:

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
MadRussian said:
Ok, its not hard at all

1) raise the front end of the car up (or front corner). Do not use your spare tire jack, get ramps or a real jack with jackstands.

2) open your hood, and unscrew the oil cap on the vlavle cover.

4) Unbold the screw that is at the bottom of the oil pan, oil will run out.

5) Remove the filter, its kinda a pain in the butt to get to the first time. It has to go through a "path", and you'll end up damping the oil filter contents out.

7) Lower car

8) Fill up the car with 5qts of oil. I use 5w30 Castrol GTX - others use other oils

10) Run the car for a minute, then shut if off and check the oil with the dipstick, it should be fine with 5 qts.

-Andrey

4½) Replace oil pan bolt!!!

otherwise:

8½) Mop up all the new oil that came out the oil pan! :D

Slayer, the first time's always the toughest. After that one, it becomes much easier, due to learning the 'path' for the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Place some aluminum foil, or shop rags under the filter, and on top of the K-member, to catch as much of the oil that will come out of the filter when you break the seal.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
MadRussian said:
Ok, its not hard at all

It's good to drive the car, get it up to operating temp. This both gets any sediment stirred up, but makes the oil more viscous. Let it cool until the oil filter is cool enough to work with, probably 5 to 10 min.

2) open your hood, and unscrew the oil cap on the valve cover.

4) Unbold the screw that is at the bottom of the oil pan, oil will run out. It should be 19mm,

Turning the wheels to the passenger side will help (supposedly, I haven't tried it yet).

You'll want to put abit of fresh oil on the seal. He's right, Fram sucks.

Uhh, might want to put the drain plug back in....

7) Lower car

-Andrey
I realize it's nit-icking, but this guy is new to working on cars...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually, I think hes right about the 13mm. Mine was 13mm stock until it stripped out today during the oil change (thank you Craftsman Bolt out kit). I went and bought a new one and it was 19mm. Just thought id throw that in there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What happens if you over do it, about a qt or so? What would happen to your engine?

(Never did it, just wondering)

--John

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate it. I didn't get a chance to last night, was stuck at work, waaayyyyy to long. So it will be Weds. night. Thanx for the replies, especially the humorous one... :)

Sam

·
Registered
239 Posts
sonicman1634 said:
Actually, I think hes right about the 13mm. Mine was 13mm stock until it stripped out today during the oil change (thank you Craftsman Bolt out kit). I went and bought a new one and it was 19mm. Just thought id throw that in there.

Mine's a 16mm bolt. guess ford ran out of normal stock ones in 97!!! lol

tony

·
Registered
73 Posts
huh, I guess different bolt sizes for different engine sizes?? It also seems like the after market plugs that I was looking at all had different size bolt heads. Guess it really doesnt matter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Shawn40th said:
Women:

1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube 3000 miles after the last oil change.
2. Drink a cup of coffee.
3. Fifteen minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.
"Jiffy Lube" and "properly maintained vehicle" used in the same reply??? Never thought I would see the day. One of my friends used to take his car to a local Jiffy Lube and they cracked his oil pan when they used an impact wrench to tighten the drain plug. Another friend, at another store, they forgot to put oil in the pan. Both got new engines at the expense of Jiffy Lube.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Anybody seen the replacement plugs at O'reilly's? It is actually a valve "kit" that functions similarly to an air "chuck" eliminating the need to take remove and replace the oil plug.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts