TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of oil consumption are you guys getting?

Close to 100K and I'll get over 3K/quart.

10/30 Mobil I.

Mitch

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 108k and my car drinks oil. 10/40 mobil 1

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
122k here, mobil1 10w30. Up to previously it was leaking (it was leaving puddles underneath) and burning a bit of oil. I just replaced ALL the gaskets and also did the valve stem seals, so the consumption should go down a bit now. I'll find out this week.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
IronChopz said:
1 quart per 1000 miles. Per the service manual, this is acceptable: see post #6.
I'll second that. :thumbsup:

94 T'Bird (280K miles) = 1.0 qt per 1K miles (Valvoline MaxLive 20W50 i.e. molasses. :leftright )
95 Cougar (180K miles) = 1.5 qt per 1K miles (Valvoline MaxLife 10W30)
97 Mark VIII (125K miles) = 1 qt per 1500 miles (Castrol GTX 10W30)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
While a qt per 900 might be okay to Ford, it isn't for me. I had to add a qt to my 2000 Grand Marquis. I didn't feel as bad as I thought I would, since it is mile 8500 on the extended drain M1 15,000.

I usually use a pint between changes (at 5,000+-) and this time that is about what I used, I think the 12 hour/1022 mile trip in one day is the reason it is the other pint down. I don't know if I can go to 15k, but I am going to try to leave it in there (and change the filter) for 10 to 11k.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On the same subject, has anyone used Lucas oil products to slow oil consumption?
I drive a truck and put a gallon of Lucas in every oil change and it works wonders. (every 15K and the truck holds 11 gallons of oil) Opinions are welcome.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I have not noticed any oil consumption .

My car has under 77000 , and does not smoke .

When does ours cars start burning oil and how do I avoid this from hapening ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
140,000miles and 95 4.6L. Consumes 1L per 1000kms.

Passed emissions test. No smoke during WOT. Worst after extended idling in drive, like long line up at the drive through - smoke city.

Ford, Volkswagon, Dodge, they all say that consumption is normal but that's BS. It's only to cover their *** for warranty claims.
My wife's 94 LHS 3.5L. If you pull the stick just before it's 5000km oil change interval it's only down 1/4 to 1/2 a L or quart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The lucas's stuff is not necessarily the best option for your engine. All it does is thicken the standing viscosity of your oil, its a straight weight. You'd see more benefit and less cost by bumping your viscosity range up (10W30 to 10W40, 10W40 to 15W40 (Less VI's and more additives), and eventually...15W40 to 20W50 which at this point you need rebuilt.

Lucas's also foams. Badly. The small gear tests in auto parts stores confirm this as well as tests. You can easily turn lucas's into a frothy mess in those things. Just think about when its inside distro gear, oil pump, or as the crankshaft swings round and round.

You can add lucas's if you want, but you'd get its benefit and then some by just increasing to a heavier viscosity of oil.

10W40 I don't tend to like because it has such a wide range to cover, it tends to "burn" to a thicker starting weight faster then other weights.

Sorry to write a book. Just passing on the knowledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts