TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone let me in on the ACS on removing and installing the oil filter without spilling more oil than the exxon valdez(sp?)???

I changed the oil for the first time on my nused '95 Bird and what a mess I made. the first time I got under the car yesterday I said to myself "it's gonna be a messy one" and it sure was...

And it was also quite a pain in the a$$ to maneuver the oil filter out after it was completely unscrewed.. do you have to follow some sort of "where's waldo?" map to get it out without cutting your hand up? (which I did)

Next time, I may take a plastic bag and drape it over the crossmember..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes, it can be a PITA but it gets a little easier once you know the "path" to follow.
You can use a plastic bag to drape over the cross-member but after the first or second time I changed my oil, I did a search and found a post where Shadowdragon suggested using aluminum foil. I have tried it with a bag and aluminum foil and like the aluminum foil better because it holds its shape better and you can direct the oil into the pan.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Aluminum foil works pretty good to drape over the K-member. Otherwise, yeah, it takes practice....either that or a remote oil filter setup.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Here's a couple of tips;

1. Turn power steering hose clamp, if it is in the way. Mine was, and I rotated it 90 degrees to make more room.

2. Try jacking the front driver's side of the car up, to increase the space between the sway-bay and power steering pump. In addition, You can also try turning the wheels either full left or full right to see if that makes more room. I can just squeak by with the wheels straight.

As mentioned above, use aluminum foil on top of the k-member.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Messy oil changes

My suggestion is to spend a little bit of money and relocate the oil filter to the under side of the battery deck. There are kits out there for under $50.00. Do a search and you will get plenty of info. There is one out now that uses neopreme lines which come highly recommended. Braided cost mucho bucks. Anyway it is another way to go. Check out the site below.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=1997

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
My way:

1. Unscrew filter, let oil go where it wants to. Let filter drop onto K-member.
2. Reach down from top of engine, pull oil filter up between fuse panel and motor.
3. Install new filter following path old filter took during removal.
4. Use brake cleaner to clean oil off K-member.

·
Registered
921 Posts
step 1: Drain oil
Step 2: unscrew filter
Step 3: dump oil from filter where ever it seems conveinent.(So long as the pan is there to catch it)
Step 4: put in new filter
Step 5: put new oil in, forget oil on k-member, drive until wheels fall off. The only K-Member worth worrying about getting oil on is the one Dr. Frankencougie has installed in his cougie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts