TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am somewhat new here. I set up my account a year ago when I bought my bird, but usually come on here once in a while to do research for the upkeep of the car. Once in a while I would leave a post.
So, hello to everyone.

Now, I have always had an oil leak. It is a 94 LX 4.6 with close to 145,000 miles. I went to get an oil change (Sears) and they denied my request for an oil change due to I had an oil leak. Some sort of legal issues and a new policy they said, no biggie I wasn't upset.
So, my first concern was the oil pan gasket, then when I really looked at my car, come to realize it was close to the oil filter which lead me to think it was the oil filter adapter gasket.

I have been thinking about attempting this myself, but I live in an apartment complex which prohibits working on my car in the lot.

How much am I looking at if I took it to a shop to have the oil filter adapter gasket changed?

thanks

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Hey everyone,
I am somewhat new here. I set up my account a year ago when I bought my bird, but usually come on here once in a while to do research for the upkeep of the car. Once in a while I would leave a post.
So, hello to everyone.

Now, I have always had an oil leak. It is a 94 LX 4.6 with close to 145,000 miles. I went to get an oil change (Sears) and they denied my request for an oil change due to I had an oil leak. Some sort of legal issues and a new policy they said, no biggie I wasn't upset.
So, my first concern was the oil pan gasket, then when I really looked at my car, come to realize it was close to the oil filter which lead me to think it was the oil filter adapter gasket.

I have been thinking about attempting this myself, but I live in an apartment complex which prohibits working on my car in the lot.

How much am I looking at if I took it to a shop to have the oil filter adapter gasket changed?

thanks
It's not a difficult job,just a real PITA. You have to drop the PS pump down out of the way to access the adapter. The oil will need changed,and the coolant will get dumped as well. If you know what you're doing,you can do the job in about an hour-but honestly you're looking at probably 2-3 hours of labor for a shop to do it. Hopefully the housing is not cracked, and/or the shop doesn't break the housing-it's a discontinued part that's very difficult to find.
JL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I was looking at it late yesterday and that is what I was thinking that the PS needed to be moved out of the way.
I am more experienced working on the 5.0 engines and have removed the PS out of it with ease. So, would it be similar or more difficult on the 4.6?

·
Registered
563 Posts
More difficult I assume. Never worked on 5.0 birds, but the 4.6L P/S pump is a pain in the you know what. There is one bolt that turns like 1/32 of a turn at a time. It can be done, and it shouldn't take you too long, but its not fun IMHO.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
but the 4.6L P/S pump is a pain in the you know what. There is one bolt that turns like 1/32 of a turn at a time.
Simple solution with a permanent fix. Go by the dealer and get a set of teflon rings for the PS hose. Buy a spare 18mm open end wrench. Cut that wrench in half. Grind the outer edges of the wrench to allow more room to turn that PS nut and then remove the PS hose from the pump. Remove the offensive bolt and toss it in the toolbox. Replace the telon ring on the end of the PS hose,and then it's a simple 10 minute removal for the pump from now on.
JL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts