TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 SC motor. I always do my own oil changes and I was told to never tighten the filter too much which I do not. I hand tighten it, then just a little jerk with oil filter wrench to make it snug. The first drive after the oil change, I get a small oil leak and coolant leak coming from oil filter & oil cooler area. I put car on ramps and have to tighten the oil filter again. Then the problem is fixed until next oil change. Do the filters have a tendency of coming loose the first time engine is hot after the oil change?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
I lubricate the o-ring on the new filter with fresh oil, then tighten it about 3/4 turn past the point where I can feel it start to snug up. Hand tight every time, and I've never run into issues.

Coolant leak? There shouldn't be any coolant coming from the oil filter area unless there are problems elsewhere.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant leak? There shouldn't be any coolant coming from the oil filter area unless there are problems elsewhere.
It's just a minor coolant leak after oil changes...i think it may be because the oil filter isn't tightened enough against the oil cooler? I don't know. After I tighten the filter again, there is no coolant dripping. Coolant does run through the oil cooler, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
coolant and your oil filter have no relation. No coolant goes in to the filter. As for the oil filter tighten that sucker down. Dot use a tool to tighten it though. Get it as tight as you can by hand. I dont follow the instruction on the oil filter box "1/4 turn after the gasket makes contact" or whatever. Never had a filter get stuck, never had one leak.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Sounds like your oil cooler o rings are bad, never had one do that

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I hand tighten mine and turn an additional 1/2 rotation. Never had any problems this way.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'd rather have to bust my ass getting a filter off, then have an engine seize up going down the highway from it loosening itself up.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I've never had a filter loosen up unless it was loose to begin with. You're sure you don't have an old filter gasket remnant staying behind?

You do your own oil changes so I don't want to insult your technique. That said, there are some out there who never developed certain habits like oiling the filter gasket prior to install. (it's happened) Besides that, you only need a clean surface for the gasket to mate to, and don't cross-thread. If these 3 things are done right, I cannot imagine the filter coming loose unless something is disturbing it. Vibrations...?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have always spun the new filter on until I feel the rubber gasket making contact with the filter housing and then go one full turn afterward. Part of that full turn I can do be hand but the rest I use a ratchet and filter tool. Never had a oil leak on my SC's that way.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes there is coolant running thru the oil cooler. Make sure the hose clamps are tight on the hoses to the cooler. Better check your dipstick to after you run the car to make sure the oil isn't milky looking. If it is then there is a leak in the cooler getting to your oil which is very bad. Not that I have ever seen an oil cooler go bad.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes there is coolant running thru the oil cooler. Make sure the hose clamps are tight on the hoses to the cooler. Better check your dipstick to after you run the car to make sure the oil isn't milky looking. If it is then there is a leak in the cooler getting to your oil which is very bad. Not that I have ever seen an oil cooler go bad.
Ok. I will check to make sure hose clamps are tight. If they are loose, would that cause coolant to leak from that area? The coolant leak seems to stop after I tighten the oil filter though so would that be the hoses or the oil cooler itself leaking if the coolant leak stops after oil filter is tightened?

Oh, and if i have to buy a new oil cooler for this thing, do i have to drain the coolant system to replace it? Not sure how much coolant would leak out. And, if the oil cooler has been leaking for quite some time, what are the chances that the engine is phucked? I rather not invest to get the lean code figured out via an SCT dealer, and get the suspension replaced if the engine is done.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Righting oil filter has nothing to do with coolant leak, also if the oil filter is tightened to begin with it don't come loose, I've been working on cars for over 10 years and I've ever seen a filter come,

·
Registered
631 Posts
Do you ever see any coolant come out first when you change the oil?

·
Registered
631 Posts
When you take the filter off make sure the big nut is tight that holds the cooler on. It is where the threads are that the filter screws to has a hex at its base. It could be loose and moving around causing the hoses to leak and when you tighten the filter it tightens everythng up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts