TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go change the oil and the Motorcraft 820s filter won?t fit between the sway bar and the power steering pump.

What?s weirder is that the filter on the the car that I took out was much smaller...400s size...narrow versus wide as the 820 is.

What gives? Motor mount collapse and the last guy said screw it and put the wrong filter on it???

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Fl500s is the smaller size. Someone said they arn't correct for some reason and not right for the application. IDK about the validity of that, that's all I have been using.

On my Cougar I can reach from the top and change out the smaller 500s filter, which is nice. For some reason on my Tbird there isn't enough room to do that. I heard non ABS cars have more room in that area.

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
Fl500s is the smaller size. Someone said they arn't correct for some reason and not right for the application. IDK about the validity of that, that's all I have been using.
The issue is that the FL500S has less filter media, a lower flow rate, and the bypass opens at only 8 psi, compared to 16 psi for the FL820S. While it will physically interchange, it won't perform the task of actually filtering the oil as well as the FL820S.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
IMHO the 820s is the preferred filter. Although, as XR7 said, it's a PITA to fit without some practice.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'll take all your advice, and will be switching back to the 820s then! TBH I had no idea there was much of a difference, thanks.

When I get a chance I can take a look, but I know my Cougar has enough room to put the filter in from the top. Tbird no way.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
It can be done on the TBird. It just takes some finesse.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
ABS would make no difference, the pump is under the fender and the lines that are in the engine bay not only are well out of the way but have the same routing to the proportioning valve as they do the ABS pump
Here is the difference, they are both same year; Tbird has ABS and is non sport brakes. I can reach down on my cougar and get the 500 size filter out easily enough, an 820 is too big. The tbird is the rust color (I mean red color... its my winter rat) and you can see the big line to the master cylinder that it has. I assumed that was the reason why.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my 94, the 820s fit fine earlier in the day, but when I went to do the 95....not even close.

So I went out and got a 500 and put it back on...then checked the motor mounts. The engine jumps to the sky.

New motor mounts are on the way.....

·
Super Moderator
17,144 Posts
Here is the difference, they are both same year; Tbird has ABS and is non sport brakes. I can reach down on my cougar and get the 500 size filter out easily enough, an 820 is too big. The tbird is the rust color (I mean red color... its my winter rat) and you can see the big line to the master cylinder that it has. I assumed that was the reason why.
The reservoir hose is not in the way for you to reach down from the top, my Cougar has ABS and it's never been a problem for me, there's no way for the filter to actually come out from the top either way, the wire harness plastic gets in the way of that possibility first

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think the motor mounts will make it fit very nice. I have seen worn out motor mounts let the engine sit lower, thus closer to the sway bar. My bird is also suffering from this right now. The homemade poly mount from years ago is finally showing its age. I've got a plain hydraulic one from rock auto I need to install at some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts