TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a 1995 Cougar 4.6. There are a few issues but I'm asking them in their respective areas. So I have oil in the coolant. No coolant in the oil. And no bubbling from the reservoir when revving. I believe it can be that oil filter adapter that I've read about. The engine runs great otherwise. So I don't have a reason to suspect the head gasket.

I also had P0174 meaning it was running lean in bank 2. I cleared the code and after a little driving hasn't come back, yet. I'll see if it will after a while longer. If it does, could it be an O2 Sensor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. I'll print up a vacuum diagram so I know what I'm looking at. I'm used to Hondas. Very nice Cougar by the way. What wheels are those?

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
Thanks! They're factory 03 SVT Cobra 10th annivarsaries. I'm planing on changing them soon though since the tires are quite old and I'm ready to change it up a bit.

Pay special attention to the vacuum T at the very back of the intake, IIRC it runs to each bank on the #4 and #8 runners, that in particular would give a one side lean condition

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You were right. I started at the PCV. There was a vacuum leak at the upper line. Replaced that small hose. I found the "T" you were talking about and I'll check that tomorrow. I'm currently hunting another gremlin keeping me from being able to floor it. I'm thinking TPS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when I get around to changing the oil adapter gasket, what tools do I normally need? I 've read around and it seems extensions are essential. I'm going to do it through the wheel well. So extensions, swivel sockets, and u-joints? Also 10mm?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So when I get around to changing the oil adapter gasket, what tools do I normally need? I 've read around and it seems extensions are essential. I'm going to do it through the wheel well. So extensions, swivel sockets, and u-joints? Also 10mm?
Pretty much

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I found the top bolt to be the most difficult to do as it was the hardest to get to. If you have someone else to help you out, it'd probably make the job a little easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So... The pcv hoses aren't leaking. I used the cigar trick to look for cracks. For grins and giggles, I pulled number 5 and 8 spark plugs and I saw this. wire number 8 was an orange color as well. like rust. Intake Manifold gasket failure? could that be why I'm leaning? I've also noticed that i get pinging under load around 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I found the top bolt to be the most difficult to do as it was the hardest to get to. If you have someone else to help you out, it'd probably make the job a little easier.
My old motor is out of the car on a stand, with the side of the engine facing up, and that bolt was STILL hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My old motor is out of the car on a stand, with the side of the engine facing up, and that bolt was STILL hard.
Would you advise using an impact wrench to take it off? I somehow broke my breaker bar...

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
Would you advise using an impact wrench to take it off? I somehow broke my breaker bar...
Worst part of that top filter/adapter bolt is it's difficult to get to, how do you expect to get an impact up in there? :tongue: Not to mention talk about overkill, torque spec on those bolts are like 20 ft/lbs!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worst part of that top filter/adapter bolt is it's difficult to get to, how do you expect to get an impact up in there? :tongue: Not to mention talk about overkill, torque spec on those bolts are like 20 ft/lbs!
wobble sockets/ u joints/ and extension... Idk. maybe I'll just go in with my crescent wrench and pray. hahaha

My impact is a low end makita... It probably maxes out at 25ft/lbs..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts