TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Cougar with the 4.6. It has 50,000 miles. I recently swapped out the original intake for a new one with an aluminum crossover. I got it through Dan Newman, and the install went fine. It was an NPI replacement, not the PI intake. I did this swap for peace of mind because I was going on a long trip with it. The car ran exceptionally well, and I averaged about 25 mpg. Anyway, I was cleaning the car today, and I was checking oil and coolant levels, whan I noticed a bit of oil floating around inside the reserve tank. I put my finger in it and it is definitely oil, not some excess sludge from the coolant system that washed up in the tank. I checked the oil and there is no coolant in it.

My question is, is this a blown head gasket? Usually, the coolant mixes with the oil. I have seen the milk shake in the oil mess, but my oil is very clean. This is not a poorly maintained car. I have owned the car since it was new. I have regularly changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals, and flushed the antifreeze every year. It has never overheated.

Could something have gone wrong with the intake install?
Everything was properly torqued according to specs, so I can't see it being related to that.

Could it be something else besides a head gasket?

BTW - the car still runs fine. It does not seem to have any symptoms of a blown head gasket, such as overheating or blowing white smoke. But this could be attributed to where it blew, if it is blown.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW - How would I pressure test the coolant system? Is there an adapter to fit the reservoir?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
similar thing happend to me.....i see globs of dark oily stuff in the reservoir but no coolant in the oil.......turns out it was because i added watter wetter to the coolant, because i had never seen that before........flushed it out, and all is normal again.......did you add some kind of coolant additive?.....the odds of blowing a head gasket on a 4.6 are very very highly unlikely based on the searching i've done here

this is what i found, a few weeks after i added water wetter, which then disappeared with a good flush:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you add some kind of coolant additive?
I did put water wetter in there. That stuff is oil based?
I put it in last time I flushed the system and that did not happen.
I will try flushing and filling the system and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, I had some small oil deposits in my radiator tank as well.
And I did add waterwetter. Mine was such minor deposits I did not
think much of it. I then flushed the system and refilled with fresh
antifreeze and water. I did NOT ad waterwetter at this time.
And ever since the flush I have not seen those little oily deposits.

Considering you guy's had the same issues and we both used water
wetter I would say its the waterwetter that creates the oil deposits!

The waterwetter probably does no harm, I was like you guy's oil deposits
just does not seem right.

Waterwetter does claim that thier product lubricates the cooling system
though. It says right on the back of the bottle. Maybe thats how it works?

Steve 4.6L

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Redline is a lubricant company. I guess it has some sort of oil in it. They really should put a warning on the bottle so people do not freak out when they see this in their antifreeze.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah i had the same problem with Redline, same spots floating around in the tank, i stopped using that and use Hyper-Lube Coolant Additive, mixes very well.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
guitar maestro said:
we all should do a class action law suit agains redline and say that those oil spots caused the loss of hundreds of horsepower and ft-lbs of torque and have them buy us all superchargers .....lol
oh......dear god!....ohhhhhh......the humanity!..........

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts