TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I have an oil leak in my Bird. It is dripping from around the oil filter, so I'm hoping it's from possibly from that, but if not maybe it's the pan gasket. I'm thinking maybe when I changed the oil last, I may have left some of the old gasket from the old filter on there. Will be changing it again soon, so I will know then. My question is, has anyone ever encountered this problem?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so it dosen't seem to be coming from the filter, or the pan gasket....it is deifnitely somewhere in the front/driver's side area towards the bottom. What else is in that area that could be leaking oil?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If its leaking from the oil filter mount gasket it will spread around the bottom of the engine. It is on the drivers side of the engine toward the front. It is a common spot to leak. The gasket is under $10, and you can search the forum for pointers how to replace it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I hated replacing mine. . . so I had a shop do it for $20+ the part. I think that going through the wheel well is the key (U-Joints help, too).

Stephen

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it makes a lot of sense, gonna give it a shot soon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a pain to do but can be done. A long extension through the wheel is how I did mine.

T
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can't tell if you've actually gone under the car and ascertained where the leak is or if you're speculating from what you see from the side.

One thing to look at is the oil sender unit near the filter. I had one crack a few months ago and it created a leak that got worse over time.

If it is this, the good news is that it's a cheap and easy fix.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
my 94 started dumping oil out of the oil filter adapter gasket. Its really not the worst thing to replace. Everyone is right on in suggesting some long extensions. I took the time after I got the adapter off to clean the adapter off really well and the surrounding frame and block areas from the leaking. The adapter only had like 4 bolts on it. Just go to the Ford dealership and get the gasket, it was about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I have gone under the car and checked it out, the sending unit is fine, I am almost positive it is the mount gasket.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the gakset and fluids yesterday, will be underway tomorrow. Hope all goes well, dosen't look too hard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody have a diagram, or link to one of the adapter?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Be sure to check that the opening for the coolant is the same size as the opening your original gasket. When i put my engine together I did not check this and found out the hard way that I had been given the wrong gasket. The bolts lined up fine but the coolant passage did not seal and the coolant ran out of the housing .

Also if you ever repalced the oil sending unit make sure the housing is not cracked where it screws in.

T

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be sure to check that the opening for the coolant is the same size as the opening your original gasket. When i put my engine together I did not check this and found out the hard way that I had been given the wrong gasket. The bolts lined up fine but the coolant passage did not seal and the coolant ran out of the housing .

Also if you ever repalced the oil sending unit make sure the housing is not cracked where it screws in.

T
Well there was only two gaskets, one for an oil cooler, and one without. i got the one for no oil cooler.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I got it done today. Checked the adapter, no cracks or broken parts. The gasket didn't even really look bad. I think it is still leaking. There is still a small puddle on the ground if I let it idle for a few minutes. I went through the carwash and got an undercarriage wash afterwards, but I still can't tell if it's just leftover oil or new oil. It does seem kind of watery, but it is too close to tell.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you sure you haven't left the oil filter a tad loose i've done that or the filter has backed off on me once.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you sure you haven't left the oil filter a tad loose i've done that or the filter has backed off on me once.
I actually did think of that one. I checked it twice, right before my last drive and right after, it was tight both times.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you might try putting it up on jacks and having someone start it while you look at it. that way you can actually see where it's originating from. i did that when i first put my oil relocation kit on i hadn't shaved the oil filter nipple down long enough and it sprayed 75psi worth of oil pressure everywhere it was a royal mess and a half.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts