TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should i look at? i replaced the alternator harness which also connects to a connector at the steering pump(?) there is a leak down there and it's causing the harnesses to lose their insulation.... what is leaking?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Possibly the engine oil filter adapter gasket, power steering hose/tube/fittings, cam cover gasket(s), and perhaps even the crank shaft front seal.

Keep in mind these are only guesses. To make such a diagnosis one would need to actually be there and perform the necessary checks. Otherwise, it's like scooping out a glass of water from a large lake, and upon seeing nothing but water in the glass proclaiming there are no fish in this lake.

You can do it. You're only limited by the false sense of limits. So get in there, and search for the leak. Wipe areas in question clean, and run the engine, if need be, to see what kind of oil it is, and where the leak is coming from. If you can't find it then keep looking. Also, search the forum for related topics. And if all else fails; try something harder.

Btw: those oil filter adapter gaskets are notorious for leaking...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced one of those Oil Filter Adapters gasket. That was a headache one of the bolts decided to strip to make matters worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I replaced one of those Oil Filter Adapters gasket. That was a headache one of the bolts decided to strip to make matters worse.
I got the same problem...

Any one with a better idea to get this now boogered bolt out without lifting the engine?

I think I have to cut it off and then find some way to get a welding machine to weld a new nut to the stud... then remove the stud and replace with new bolt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, after an hour or so with the dremel cut off wheel, I got this:

Then I could get the now stud out with a pair of pliers. Hopefully the grade 8.8 metric bolt from Lowes will do the job.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Nice job on getting it apart, not much room to work.

I just did the same job on my 97 Mark VIII, and it was equally evil except I didn't have a messed up bolt.

It is so nice to be able to park it in my driveway now, and I pressure washed it but still have a little burning off the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I've changed dozens of those gaskets, never had the stripped head problem.

I HIGHLY recommend anybody changing these gaskets (it's really not that hard), use extensions (1/4" drive even better), 6-POINT SOCKETS (no 12-point or you're asking for trouble). A swivel socket makes one of the bolts easier to get out.

Take the tire off and go through the frame hole - easiest way.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Yeah, people don't seem to understand that 12 point sockets on six point heads make for a bad time when any torque is involved. I have to explain this all the time to my customers when they come in looking for sockets.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
grade 8.8 metric is rougly about equal to standard grade 5, and should be just fine considering it doesn't get torqued that much for the oil filter housing. If you can get a 10.9 metric, it would be better since it is roughly equal to standard 8.8.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did get the upper bolts through the driver tire fender well, and I was using a 6 pint socket. My problem was that my socket split a side as I was trying the last bolt and did not know it was split until I tried to remove that last bolt and rounded, which you can NOT get a straight shot at.

Now I need to get all the grime off, you can see how bad is caked on, after ~15,000 miles ( my bad for not finding the leak sooner)

Lessons in life learned and hopefully some one may benefit from this

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
As far as getting the bolt out, I didn't think it was the head to surface contact that made them so hard to get out. I rounded off two bolts on the rocker arms on my 89 Cougar, and just sent them to the head shop like that. I figured they would weld on a nut, but they cut off the head, and they came out really easy. I figured they galled/rolled the threads in the aluminum head but no problem with that.

As far as the clean up, I think I spent more time on cleanup than on the actual work. I should have done more cleanup before I started the work, but I knew I would be leaking more oil and coolant doing the job.

parked in same place for 3 days, but most of that leaked in a few hours:

MUCH nicer to work on now:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts