TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 133k on my t-bird now. This is the first problem I have ran into. There is a small puddle of oil every morning I go out to my car. I changed the oil filter to see if the filter seal was cracked. The oil pan is coated in oil film. Could this be a oil pan gasket? If so, how much of a PITA is it? I have access to a hoist if that helps.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Best place to start would be cleaning everything off and then let it run and see if you can find the leak. It's probably getting blown everywhere while driving, thus making it impossible to know where to start. It could be the crank seal, oil pan, filter seal....

Jay

·
Registered
206 Posts
When mine was at 132,000 miles, I noticed a leak, too. At first, I just thought 'Oh, man, the rear main seal is out'. Then upon further inspection, it ended up being the oil filter adapter plate gasket. I think that's what it's called. I changed that gasket, and no more leaking. Well, I do have tranny fluid leaking and its coming from that plug that you can take out and drain the torque converter, but that's another problem, another post.

Check around the plate that you screw the oil filter into.

EDIT: I just checked 94mncougar's link... and that's what I'm talking about. Only thing is, it's different to do than those directions. It's a PITA to get to, but I did mine. My leak got worse and worse until I HAD to do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Boy--I searched for" filter leak" and got this info
Once again--good stuff, and took all of 2 minutes to find

Thanks guys!!

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,165 Posts
When mine was at 132,000 miles, I noticed a leak, too. At first, I just thought 'Oh, man, the rear main seal is out'. Then upon further inspection, it ended up being the oil filter adapter plate gasket. I think that's what it's called. I changed that gasket, and no more leaking. Well, I do have tranny fluid leaking and its coming from that plug that you can take out and drain the torque converter, but that's another problem, another post.

Check around the plate that you screw the oil filter into.

EDIT: I just checked 94mncougar's link... and that's what I'm talking about. Only thing is, it's different to do than those directions. It's a PITA to get to, but I did mine. My leak got worse and worse until I HAD to do it.
looks like im having this exact problem. How much of a PITA was this job?

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's one, my oil leak was from the timing chain cover gasket. It looked like the oil pan because it sort of drained along the seams. It wasn't too big of a problem, but it took me about five hours (novice without pro tools).

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
hmm. i have the same symptoms. lol. i thought it might be coming from the filter mount. guess i'll clean the underside,and see if i can figure anyhting out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts