TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my tie rod end boot has leaked oil all over the rotor cover, that means it's the one that has gone bad correct? Or should i just replace both? Neither one have play in them so im having trouble determining which one is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
In your other post about this, you said that it made a clunking sound.

If the tie rods have no play in them, and aren't making any grating sounds when the wheels are turning left or right, then maybe it is one of your upper or lower ball joints that is bad.

EDIT:

There is no oil in the tie-rod boot. It should only have grease. If you are seeing "oil" coming from it, then possibly water has gotten in there.

Don't know how many miles are on that tie-rod, but if it's above 100k miles, then I would replace it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just a thought... ouldn't it be the PS fluid leaking and flowing along the axle
making it look like it's coming from the tie rod end??
Check the PS reservoir if there's any fluid left...

//Per

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
HanMan said:
If my tie rod end boot has leaked oil all over the rotor cover, that means it's the one that has gone bad correct? Or should i just replace both? Neither one have play in them so im having trouble determining which one is bad.
There is no oil in a tie rod, only grease. :leftright

If you have "fluid" on the rotor cover, I would bet that you have a brake fluid leak. :beek:

However, you can get fluid around the inner tie rod baffle and that is usually power steering fluid leaking out of the rack and pinion. It would be pretty hard pressed to make it all the way to the tie rod boot at the spindle. :beek:

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
There is no oil in a tie rod, only grease. :leftright

However, you can get fluid around the inner tie rod baffle and that is usually power steering fluid leaking out of the rack and pinion. It would be pretty hard pressed to make it all the way to the tie rod boot at the spindle. :beek:

Just my .02. :thumbsup:
[email protected]! :tongue:

Actually the wifeys "car" leaks from the halfshaft and it followed
the halfshaft all the way out.. But then again it's a Nissan so..
FWD POS! Which I never touch, if it breaks it's off to the shop! :D

But you have a good point! Definitely could be brakefluid..
Check that fluidlevel first of all!!!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yeah, your steering rack is leaking. Mine does the same thing on the passenger side. I just let it drip, I'll replace it later ;)
-Rob

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its grease.... just misspoke. It doesn't make a gridning sound like described above... just a quiter than ball joint sound when turning. Ball joints are 3000 miles old so its not them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts