TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but it is not coming from the oil pan. It seems to be coming from somewhere closer to the front of the car. Anyone know of any places I should check first and what usually causes this problem?

I have over 170k on the car. (4.6l)

·
Registered
518 Posts
front top or front bottom?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
if its coming from near the power steering pump its probably the oil filter adapter gasket, if its coming from near the dampener it could be the timing cover seal

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Given the season, I don't know if you can do this or not, but try washing the engine (underside as well). After a brief drive, it should be easy to locate the source of the leak if it's not one of the above suggested places.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it was really windy and cold today. I'm going to try and clean everything off tomorrow, as well as change the oil while i'm at it. This way I can make sure the oil filter is on tight. Hopefully it is something as simple as that. Thanks for everyones help so far. I'll let you know what i find out.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Good luck; hope everything does work out that simple. Do you have a garage to work in or are you out in the weather?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well kind of a garage...I just bought a house so half of it is filled with boxes still. But hopefully i'll be able to move a few things around and bring the bird in.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i changed the oil today and the filter was on pretty tight. I took a towel and cleaned alot of the oil off of the underside, so hopefully this will help me locate where it is dripping from. I'll post back in a while.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I vote adapter Gasket.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do you tell if it is the gasket? There is oil leaking (not a lot), but I can't see where it is coming from.

Also, it looks like the tranny is dripping (red fluid around the seal underneath the car..about 2 drips every 4 hours)

All I want is for this car to last until I get my masters (one more year)...then on to an SUV!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had this exact same problem last week. I replaced the gasket and the problem was gone. It will cover the whole underside of the car in oil.

Replace it soon, also if your oil pressure is a little on the low side it gives a good hint.

If you don't replace it, on a cold start up oil will start peeing due to being thick.

When I started losing a quart a week I figured eh, time to change it. =)

Good luck, you can acess the adapter bolts by draining coolant, oil, and filter off. Also remove drivers side wheel and go through the wheel well with a 12in extension. Held on by 4 13mm.

Took me about 20mins tops for someone inexp.. about 1.5-2.0hrs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok...good to hear. I just did my o2 sensor today, so this will prob. have to wait another week or two. I'll just make sure the oil is full. Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts