TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 4.6l 2v that just started running really crappy the past few days. Right around 40MPH is was shuttering. At first I thought the Normal Trans shutter. but then it quickly escalated to running really rough at an idle. No power when accelerating. Wont REV up in WOT! Almost like its missing. Im thinking its kinda acting like a ignition issue. Like a COP went bad or I have a bad spark plug. (plug probably need replaced anyways. I bought the car with 62,xxx and it now has 105,xxx on it. I still have not got new plugs for it :/).

Anyways, I have no CEL. So I pop the hood and was going to pull the battery to reset the computer. I see oil all over the valve cover on the passenger side. My front Injector and COP is covered in oil. The damn injector is sitting in a pool of oil. Just that front one.

What would cause that? Valve cover gasket go bad? Anything that would cause that. With as much oil as the injector is sitting in I would almost bet the sparkplug and cop is flooded with oil too. (Would make sense why its running like poo). (Its dark and cold outside with SNOW everywhere - so I didn't pull the COP off). At first glance I thought the fuel rail was leaking. But its defiantly not fuel.

Anyways, I don't think the valve cover gasket is hard to change.. But I wanted to get some research before I start to assume its just a gasket.

So is there anything else that would sling oil like that?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did start the car up (cold) and did not see any oil squirting anywhere.. But thinking more into it. as the motor warms up the oil would get thinner and would make it easier for it to escape..

Any info would be great guys..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
874 Posts
if this is a mustang with passenger side oil fill, im gonna take a guess and say someone completely missed the fill putting oil in and didn't bother cleaning it up... also if it was squirting oil from the valve cover it would be all over everything. I would pull plugs and clean up the oil. spark has a hard time making contact through oil... valve covers can definitely seap out oil into the plug holes,if you pull the cop and there's oil saturation on the boots this is most likely your miss...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil filler is on other side of motor. I do the oil changes and always clean up any spills. I just don't know how oil would be all over that thing

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you sure it is oil?
It could be a small gas leak at the fuel rail/injector and it is slowly reduced to a varnish like susbstance through heat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it didn't smell like fuel. It smelled like oil. Felt like oil. Looks like oil.

I might take it to a car wash. Quickly spray it down and see if It comes back. Im also going to replace the plugs and rubber boots and springs. Clean it out the best I can.

Hopefully, it will help the car run better. I can barely get it over 40MPH right now. and it runs really rough. Still no CEL.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
If it filled the valvecover completely, it could have oil everywhere; how much are you missing?

Theoretically, the pcv circuit can fill the plenum with most of the oil, lol.

That is usually a very hard drive with certain turns involved, IIRC.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cover gasket isn't difficult to change just it's in a tight spot. I'd swap it along with the spark plug tube seals. I think the felpro gasket kit for the valve covers on 99-04 stangs come with both sides and the plug tube seals.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Cover gasket isn't difficult to change just it's in a tight spot. I'd swap it along with the spark plug tube seals. I think the felpro gasket kit for the valve covers on 99-04 stangs come with both sides and the plug tube seals.
Are you talking about the COP boots? If so, they're usually sold individually. I've never seen them with valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you talking about the COP boots? If so, they're usually sold individually. I've never seen them with valve cover gaskets.
Not the COP boot but the seals that sit down inside the tube where the plug screws in. I may be thinking of a dohc motor though. Long day at work my brain is a bit fried.
Who has two thumbs and needs a beer?
<-----this guy, that's right. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it filled the valvecover completely, it could have oil everywhere; how much are you missing?

Theoretically, the pcv circuit can fill the plenum with most of the oil, lol.

That is usually a very hard drive with certain turns involved, IIRC.
you'll have to dumb it down for me in layman's terms I'm not understanding what you mean. the p_v_c circuit can fill the plentum, as in the throtlebody and plentum. ?

Im not missing any oil. Dip stick reads where I left it. I have regular oil pressure..

it seems that the car sits for a while it runs perfect until I shut it off. get back in five minutes later and all hell broke loose. Runs like crap.

Why don't I have a cel?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
you'll have to dumb it down for me in layman's terms I'm not understanding what you mean. the p_v_c circuit can fill the plentum, as in the throtlebody and plentum. ?

Im not missing any oil. Dip stick reads where I left it. I have regular oil pressure..

it seems that the car sits for a while it runs perfect until I shut it off. get back in five minutes later and all hell broke loose. Runs like crap.

Why don't I have a cel?
The pcv could pull blowby into your intake manifold and plenum. He was saying that in order to pull that much oil into the valve cover for that to happen, it would take one hell of a corner and a serious pucker moment.

Have you pulled your coils and plugs?

Perhaps a tube busted off of the pcv system and instead of draining into your intake, its going onto your manifold.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be pulling the plugs tonight. I have to wait till the kids go to bed before I can escape to the garage.

What's the pcv system? Can you explain that? Where is the tube? Inside the valve covers?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The pcv could pull blowby into your intake manifold and plenum. He was saying that in order to pull that much oil into the valve cover for that to happen, it would take one hell of a corner and a serious pucker moment.

Have you pulled your coils and plugs?

Perhaps a tube busted off of the pcv system and instead of draining into your intake, its going onto your manifold.
This is what I was thinking. Quite possible that the PCV valve blew out of the hole in the valve cover, the plastic part of the PCV valve itself seperated or cracked, or the rubber tube split. Being it's on the passanger side that would make sense. And being that you are having drivability issues that makes sense as well because you are losing vacuum with that being open.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Sorry I wasn't very clear. :)

Our engines will fill the passenger side head with oil, until it pours over the front, under the right circumstances.

The combination of pcv flow and the crank slinging oil up the drain holes at high RPM is the reason for this; Livernois sells a kit and windage plate to fix this.

When the oil's that high, the pcv line to the throttle body will suck oil like there's no tomorrow; especially when you let off and the intake transitions suddenly to high vacuum. :)

That's one reason they make a good business selling oil separators for that line.

I know one set of curves here that will flood my intake with oil; it's the right set of straightaways and turns...

That road has a 45mph speed limit on it; it's really hard to speed and make the next turn...

EDIT: I missed this:

Why don't I have a cel?
This sounds like a bad eec; what car is this?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I will be pulling the plugs tonight. I have to wait till the kids go to bed before I can escape to the garage.

What's the pcv system? Can you explain that? Where is the tube? Inside the valve covers?
The pcv is the valve that sits on your passenger side valve cover. The tube goes from the valve to the plenum. It's a hard plastic tube that runs across. The only other thing I could guess is you seriously blew out a plug AND the coil boot AND have serious blow by. That is a far less likely scenario though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i'd get yourself a new PCV check over the vacuum tubes connected to it, shoot a can of foaming degreaser on the motor and hose it off. then just keep any eye out for more leaks.

then pull and inspect all your COPS for carbon burns, cracks, soft swollen, etc. clean the tabs inside the coils, get some dielectric grease on them. super cheap fix for most missfires on the COP cars.

if the coil boots haven't been changed in a long time, then toss all new boots on. i know oreilly sells a complete boot kit with springs in their omnispark line, part numbers 90003, only $40.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I wasn't very clear. :)

Our engines will fill the passenger side head with oil, until it pours over the front, under the right circumstances.

The combination of pcv flow and the crank slinging oil up the drain holes at high RPM is the reason for this; Livernois sells a kit and windage plate to fix this.

When the oil's that high, the pcv line to the throttle body will suck oil like there's no tomorrow; especially when you let off and the intake transitions suddenly to high vacuum. :)

That's one reason they make a good business selling oil separators for that line.

I know one set of curves here that will flood my intake with oil; it's the right set of straightaways and turns...

That road has a 45mph speed limit on it; it's really hard to speed and make the next turn...

EDIT: I missed this:

This sounds like a bad eec; what car is this?

It's a 1999 Grand Marquis. But it has a 2v like my tbird. What's the eec?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is what I was thinking. Quite possible that the PCV valve blew out of the hole in the valve cover, the plastic part of the PCV valve itself seperated or cracked, or the rubber tube split. Being it's on the passanger side that would make sense. And being that you are having drivability issues that makes sense as well because you are losing vacuum with that being open.
I checked the pcv valve. It's in place. When I pull it out it runs even worse.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts