TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well decided to change my spark plugs cuz i have no idea when it was last done. well the two center sparkplugs on the drivers side had oil all over them. any guesses as to why. i recently did a pi cam and intake swap but i know its not a leaky valve cover gasket. first thing i checked. its not really on the boot just the bottom of the spark plug, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
Are you saying the inside firing end of the plug is oil covered?

If it's on the outside, it's a gasket leak; the inside is either old valve stem seals, bad head gasket, or broken ring. (Other, worse problems can also cause this, but you'll see them looking into these three, most likely..)

You said you just changed the intake; There are coolant passages there, but no oil. (as I recall...)

The Valve cover gasket can leak onto the outside of the plug; but yousaid not the boot, so...

The valve seals should be toast if they're original, I know mine are, lol... They're a pain to replace...They leak oil into the cylinder, and usually cause smoke when you pull out from a light.

Head gaskets usually blow to the water passages, but it can happen. A compression test will show this, as well as a leakdown test; But you have to take the head off to be sure. A compression test will also tell you if it's a ring gone, but the to confirm the diagnosis means disassembling something...and it should be smoking continuously, not just when you pull out at a light.

Hopefully, it's the valve stem seals!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well guess thats what i will look into. if its something worse than i guess its time for a new engine. hmm renegade anyone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts