TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put new plugs in my car. When I was removing the old ones, I noticed oil on the threads of the plugs that came out of the #6 and #7 cylinders. It's a 4.6 with about 230K on it.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'd say maybe valve stem seals or oil rings. Does it smoke at all?

·
Registered
40 Posts
uhhh the spark plug galley gaskets, they're a part of the valve cover gasket set.

get the valve cover gasket set from a local parts store, spend a couple hours taking the valve covers off, replace gaskets... reinstall.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
uhhh the spark plug galley gaskets, they're a part of the valve cover gasket set.

get the valve cover gasket set from a local parts store, spend a couple hours taking the valve covers off, replace gaskets... reinstall.
uh, what are you talking about? :confused: Last I checked, there is no such thing on a 2V 4.6.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I recently replaced valve stem seals on a 95 4.6 Tbird ... it was getting oil on the #6 and #7 spark plugs. Except this car actually did blow a cloud of white smoke every time you stopped and started driving again. New stem seals, and no more smoke.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently replaced valve stem seals on a 95 4.6 Tbird ... it was getting oil on the #6 and #7 spark plugs. Except this car actually did blow a cloud of white smoke every time you stopped and started driving again. New stem seals, and no more smoke.
Maybe I never noticed the smoke.

Stupid question though and I feel like the answer is obvious. Do I have to take the heads off to change the valve stem seals?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Maybe I never noticed the smoke.

Stupid question though and I feel like the answer is obvious. Do I have to take the heads off to change the valve stem seals?
No .. but that would make it much easier. Just take the valve cover off, and either use the rope trick or a compression tester tool hooked up to an air compressor to hold the valves up while you remove the springs, keepers and change out the stem seals. Its a real pain to do if you want to do them ALL, but if you only want to replace the ones with oil, #6 and 7 .. that shouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No .. but that would make it much easier. Just take the valve cover off, and either use the rope trick or a compression tester tool hooked up to an air compressor to hold the valves up while you remove the springs, keepers and change out the stem seals. Its a real pain to do if you want to do them ALL, but if you only want to replace the ones with oil, #6 and 7 .. that shouldnt be too bad.
What is this rope trick?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What is this rope trick?
You tie a noose into the rope, tie it around your neck, then a good solid tie point on the back of the 'Bird. Hold unto the rope tight, and let your buddy gun the throttle in Driv..... nevermind. Not funny, but I couldn't resist cause I'm that kind of guy.

You remove the plug from a cylinder, put enough rope in the hole so that when you turn the motor over the piston pushes the rope up against the valve. Now you can compress the valve springs and remove the retainers, springs and valve seals. Put the new seals in, re-install the springs and the retainers, turn the engine over and remove the rope. On to next cylinder, repeat....

That's the rope trick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts