TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 4.2 swap, and everything I have read says I need an '01+ Mustang oil pan and pickup. I have found a good deal on an '00 pan and pickup. I am curious if the '00 will work in place of the '01. It seems to me that they should be the same, but the articles specifically say '01.

Please advise. Any part numbers for either would be good too. Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
By that link I sent you from V6Power, the 01+ 3.8L have the same girdle as the 4.2L. So you need the 01+ pan, unless you do what Pete says here:

Early 97-98 4.2s had a 2-pc main girdle that connected the 1st to the 2nd main cap and the 3rd to the 4th main cap and had larger main bolts. Mid-1998 and up 4.2s used a 1-pc girdle that only connected the rear 3 main caps and had smaller main bolts.

To use the early 4.2 in any Mustang will require replacing the girdle with a newer 3 main style from a 4.2, get a 99-up 3.8 girdle or just delete it. You will also have to cut the girdle studs sticking out of the head of the main bolts on the 1st main bearing. The 99-00 3.8s used a factory windage tray/girdle that is better than nothing but certainly not ideal. The 01-up 3.8s use the same windage tray/girdle as the 4.2.
Joe

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By that link I sent you from V6Power, the 01+ 3.8L have the same girdle as the 4.2L. So you need the 01+ pan, unless you do what Pete says here:

Joe
The 99-00 3.8s used a factory windage tray/girdle that is better than nothing but certainly not ideal. The 01-up 3.8s use the same windage tray/girdle as the 4.2.
I have been looking right at this the whole time!! :rolleyes:

I read over everything so I must have passed right over that.

Thanks Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts