TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on summit racing and found this oil pan made by moroso that is apparently for the 4.6 thunderbird, but when I called them, they said they stopped making the pan. here is the part number from moroso. 18546
I was wondering if anyone has purchased this pan and put it on their thunderbird without any problem, or anyone out there that has one that would be willing to possibly sell? I am also curious if it still has the baffles in the pan like the factory pan?
any pictures of the pan in or outside would be great! If not, any other options out there for the thunderbird? obviously looking for 6-7 quarts. If I have no luck, I will be making my own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guitar maestro that is exactly what I'm looking for...
when would the pan be for sale? and a price?
what headers are you using on that set up?
I have kooks mid length headers.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
GM, if you start with a stock pan, and add symmetric 'wings' like the one you made, but on both sides, it would look kinda like a bird...

Some minor sheetmetal changes could be epic. :) And justify a plasma cutter, lol.

How much would these potentially retail for, if I might ask?

Your version, not the Homer Simpson version I mentioned above.

BTW, Since Homer's car got built, we need a ThunderCougarFalconBird.

:)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
guitar maestro that is exactly what I'm looking for...
when would the pan be for sale? and a price?
what headers are you using on that set up?
I have kooks mid length headers.
I am using MAC full-length longtubes. I modified the oil pan specifically to clear them.

The pan should for sale in 6-7 years if you're a tire kicker. If you're not, flash some cash at my direction and then we can talk. You should be smart enough (hopefully) to know how much something like this is worth based on
  • A. High-capacity oil pans are not cheap anywhere
and
  • B. no one makes such a beast for our chassis with a 4.6L.
Serious inquiries only.

This is how I roll.

GM, if you start with a stock pan, and add symmetric 'wings' like the one you made, but on both sides, it would look kinda like a bird...

Some minor sheetmetal changes could be epic. :) And justify a plasma cutter, lol.

How much would these potentially retail for, if I might ask?

Your version, not the Homer Simpson version I mentioned above.

BTW, Since Homer's car got built, we need a ThunderCougarFalconBird.

:)
Grog, you should look at a 4.6L K-member. It doesn't know what symmetry is. No chance of it, lol.

Retail cost is described above. :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
firm-ryd337,

Get yourself a Mark VIII oil pan, which fits in MN12 and holds 6 quarts. I'm running one in my car. The only complication is rebending the trans cooler lines to fit around the passenger side extension of the pan (or you can use Mark VIII lines, which is what I did).

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
Serious inquiries only.

Grog, you should look at a 4.6L K-member. It doesn't know what symmetry is. No chance of it, lol.

Retail cost is described above. :)
Understood; I'd love to have a pan with the excess capacity.

You have to admit, your kickout looks like a wing... :) That's more what I meant.

I've seen our crossmember from all angles; I scraped the caked-up oil residue from the Red Cougars' with a spoon while I had the engine out, lol. It was high miles when I bought it.

I'll never believe our cars were designed with our 4.6's in mind. :D

All the parts you're making are damn nice; you're inspiring me to take up welding.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I'll never believe our cars were designed with our 4.6's in mind. :D.
Grog - they weren't.

They were designed with the 3.8 - the 5.0 was shoehorned in.

I think Ford did a massive buyout of tankers full of K-Y and Astroglyde while fitting the 4.6 in :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will go the Lincoln route, if anyone has a Lincoln oil pan for sale, pm me! If not i will be out at the pick a part searching high and low. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Understood; I'd love to have a pan with the excess capacity.

You have to admit, your kickout looks like a wing... :) That's more what I meant.

I've seen our crossmember from all angles; I scraped the caked-up oil residue from the Red Cougars' with a spoon while I had the engine out, lol. It was high miles when I bought it.

I'll never believe our cars were designed with our 4.6's in mind. :D

All the parts you're making are damn nice; you're inspiring me to take up welding.
yea it's kinda wing-ish. An appropriate shape considering everything I'm making is half wing'ed! :D

The crossmember is not symmetrical by the area where the two kick-outs are---the passenger side where the stock MarkVIII oil pan has it's kickout is much more constrained in space than the driver's side. I really really really really really wanted to extend the stock kickout but no dice---nothing that would make sense nor actually be functional, so I just settled for 7 qts.

As for welding, I think I was a small flying insect in a previous life. Once I lit up that TIG torch for the very first time about 4 yrs ago, I was mysteriously drawn to the electric arc like I could not believe. I could stare at that arc for hours ---with the welding helmet on of course! LOL. You would not believe how many times I've been welding outside near dusk, and tons of flying insects just Kamikaze-themselves right into the 30,000°F electric arc! Poor saps had no idea.....:tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
Poor saps had no idea.....:tongue:
Beautiful!

The time I spent in my garage over the monsoon that was the 4th here gave me a fine appreciation for anything that kills mosquitos; I had to bathe in Off, and they were still a thick cloud.

I need another "mosquito deleto" outside the shop, lol. I have one that covers the back yard pretty well.

If you've never heard of these, you'll want one, I'll bet. :)

We have the asian tiger mosquitos, like y'all. At least it gets cold enough here to kill them off some year to year.

I hear we have armidillos now, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts