TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my nephew replace the oil pan on his 1996 Thunderbird LX. Anyone replaced an oil pan and have any tips?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I replaced my oil pan and it was a piece of cake.... but then again, I did have the whole front crossmember sitting next to the car. :leftright

Anyway, I think the instructions say to raise the engine, but I can't remember. If I were going to do it, I would raise the engine some, but also lower the cross member some. Anything to get some room. :D

But I'll say one thing: Now would be the time to install a larger front sway bar!! :thumbsup:

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
driverlarry said:
I am helping my nephew replace the oil pan on his 1996 Thunderbird LX. Anyone replaced an oil pan and have any tips?
I hope you are using a new gasket. The bolts are supposed to be tightened down in a particular sequence as well as a certain torque. Let me know if you need this information. Also - the pickup sits down in the oil pan more than you might think - give yourself enough room to get the pan clear of the pickup tube. Also be sure the screen is clean before you bolt the new pan up.

I'm assuming you are doing this on an 8 cylinder motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts