TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys what year mark viii's got the h.o oil pump? and on the H.o pump does it have a larger diameter pick up tube???

my situation is i put a 96 mark engine in a 96gt and used my 96gt pick up tube. at first it had wonderful oil pressure. now its not even showing anything for oil pressure..... i really dont want to pull my engine it was a ***** to get it in.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yeah, if you really do have zero oil pressure, you will have hella clatter from your top end regardless of what your gauge says. This is due to the lash adjusters not staying pumped up.

Also, in my SHM book, it says that the gt pickup tube cant be used with the cobra oil pump due to differences in tube diameter. Does mark viii oil pump = cobra pump? I have no freaking clue. I think i would stay with the "bigger" pump anyway because there are twice the amount of lash adjusters to keep pumped up.
-Rob

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, if you really do have zero oil pressure, you will have hella clatter from your top end regardless of what your gauge says. This is due to the lash adjusters not staying pumped up.

Also, in my SHM book, it says that the gt pickup tube cant be used with the cobra oil pump due to differences in tube diameter. Does mark viii oil pump = cobra pump? I have no freaking clue. I think i would stay with the "bigger" pump anyway because there are twice the amount of lash adjusters to keep pumped up.
-Rob
i don't have any clatter coming from the top end. i think the mark may have a cobra pump so i'm not sure if i'm going to have to drop the k member, drop the pan and install a cobra pick up tube instead of useing the stock gt one thats in there now..........

Is there anyway to check if i have oil pressure minus the oil sender sensor

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow i just noticed something my lincoln motor uses oil pressure switch MOTORCRAFT Part # SW1311 but the mustang shows MOTORCRAFT Part # SW2220. i'm guessing this might be why my gauge isn't reading anything.. any insight??? i'm dieing to drive my car

·
Registered
136 Posts
The '97-'98 Marks have the Cobra pump, and the appropriately-sized pickup tube. I ran into this when I ordered the FRPP pump for my '94 Mark motor. The Cobra pump fit fine but the pickup tube that came with it would not fit my pan. And the stock pickup tube was too small for the Cobra pump. So I had to find a used '97-'98 Mark tube and it fit perfectly. So, I'm like 90% sure that your motor has the lo-flow pump, and the correct pickup tube.
However, I agree with these guys, if you're not hearing any noise at all from the valvetrain, you need to check the oil pressure with a manual gauge. They are available for cheap money, or you could make one I guess from a gauge and some hose and fittings. Just find a fitting that fits where the sender threads in, being careful not to overtighten it and break the cast-aluminum adaptor, it's easier to do than you think. The other end of the fitting should have barbed ends. Use some good thread sealant, like Permatex on this fitting's threads. Then you can use some decent rubber hose, hose clamp that to the barbs of the fitting, and then use a similar fitting/clamps on the gauge side.
0-100 psi. gauge should be fine. Then when you start the car, you can look at the actual oil pressure. This gauge would be temporary only, just to test the electrical gauge's functionality. Also you should see the oil pressure rise and fall with the RPMs. Depending on the weight of oil and the ambient temperature, you should see 60-80 psi. when the car is cold at idle startup, and when warm IIRC it drops to 15-25 psi. Personally I run a mechanical oil pressure gauge all the time, but with braided stainless lines and AN fittings for safety, have had zero leaks, and zero problems....no sensor to wear out, or wires to short out(except for the light)
Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The '97-'98 Marks have the Cobra pump, and the appropriately-sized pickup tube. I ran into this when I ordered the FRPP pump for my '94 Mark motor. The Cobra pump fit fine but the pickup tube that came with it would not fit my pan. And the stock pickup tube was too small for the Cobra pump. So I had to find a used '97-'98 Mark tube and it fit perfectly. So, I'm like 90% sure that your motor has the lo-flow pump, and the correct pickup tube.
However, I agree with these guys, if you're not hearing any noise at all from the valvetrain, you need to check the oil pressure with a manual gauge. They are available for cheap money, or you could make one I guess from a gauge and some hose and fittings. Just find a fitting that fits where the sender threads in, being careful not to overtighten it and break the cast-aluminum adaptor, it's easier to do than you think. The other end of the fitting should have barbed ends. Use some good thread sealant, like Permatex on this fitting's threads. Then you can use some decent rubber hose, hose clamp that to the barbs of the fitting, and then use a similar fitting/clamps on the gauge side.
0-100 psi. gauge should be fine. Then when you start the car, you can look at the actual oil pressure. This gauge would be temporary only, just to test the electrical gauge's functionality. Also you should see the oil pressure rise and fall with the RPMs. Depending on the weight of oil and the ambient temperature, you should see 60-80 psi. when the car is cold at idle startup, and when warm IIRC it drops to 15-25 psi. Personally I run a mechanical oil pressure gauge all the time, but with braided stainless lines and AN fittings for safety, have had zero leaks, and zero problems....no sensor to wear out, or wires to short out(except for the light)
Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me.
hey thanks for the input i'm definitely getting a manual gauge. now when you said the original pick up tube was too small... could it physically mount up to the oil pump and line up with the 2 8mm bolts? or was it just impossible for some other reason

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey thanks for the input i'm definitely getting a manual gauge. now when you said the original pick up tube was too small... could it physically mount up to the oil pump and line up with the 2 8mm bolts? or was it just impossible for some other reason
Yes it would bolt up, but the inside diameter of the tube was smaller than the hole on the oil pump by a little bit. This creates a leak at the pump/pickup tube connection which you definitely don't want. It's easier to see if the two tubes are side by side, and even then the difference is minimal but it's important. What type of oil pan are you running?
I was under the assumption that all Marks had the Cobra oil pump, but I was wrong. The only way I could tell the difference between the two was to disassemble the pump itself and measure the thickness of the gears themselves. Lo-flo = 12mm gears, hi-flo = 13mm gears. This was measured with a digital vernier caliper, although a small ruler will probably work also. If you can find a bigger pickup tube to fit the GT pan you should be fine, or else switch to a Cobra oil pump, pickup tube AND oil pan. I'm not sure if the Cobra pickup tube will fit the GT pan, I assume not. Also not sure if the Cobra pan will fit your chassis or not.
There have been some that cut and welded the bigger tube to the smaller one, in other words, the big tube where it bolts to the pump, and the small tube where the pickup screen is. Apparently this works, but I wanted to run the complete tube and got a great deal on a good condition tube so it was a no-brainer.
But if you have a stock '96 Mark you should have a lo-flo pump and tube.
Did you replace the pump?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the engine had a pre-97 98 intake manifold on it.... Does anybody know how the sohc pressure sending unit works, should i get atleast a blip of oil pressure with the stock dohc unit as it is now

·
Registered
136 Posts
So are you using the DOHC sender or the SOHC?
Good to hear you found a gauge, that looks like it'll work just fine.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You need to use the sender that is listed for 96 thunderbird (or whatever car you are putting it in). That way there's no question that it will work with your gauge. 4v and 2v oil pressures should be comparable at given temperatures and rpms. Glad someone pointed that out about the 97+ mark having the cobra pump.
-Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts