TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did head Swap on 1997 - put on used heads that had 45000miles on them. They ran for about 12000 miles and I started to hear ticking soung coming from Valve train (passenger side)

Did Oil pressure test and it was weak (Cold Start 60PSI - HOT idle 12-14PSI) - thought that the oil pump is gone - changed the oil pump (what a pain in the butt!) - still the same oil pressure?

The car is not leaking oil outside of the car - could there be an internal leak? (I guess it has to be) What to do? Not driving the car at the moment.

On my other CrownVic (92) Just as a reference the hot idle Oil Pressure is 30-38PSI and cold is 66PSI

Any suggestions guys?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Isn't the 4.6L's supposed to have "low" oil pressure?

I'm pretty sure the "gauge" switch closes at 7 psi.

I don't have my manual here, but someone should be able to look up the correct pressure.

Did the CV have a 4.6L or a 5.0L?

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
8,239 Posts
just for reference, my 99 motor makes about 75+ psi cold, and about 30-40psi hot. The lowest oil pressure I have seen in mine is around 28psi and that was hot idle.

JH

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Did you make sure your heads had all the galley plugs in them when you did the install? We can assume the rear ones were there or you would be pumping oil on the ground but if the front ones were gone it would be puming inside the timing cover

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timb said:
Did you make sure your heads had all the galley plugs in them when you did the install? We can assume the rear ones were there or you would be pumping oil on the ground but if the front ones were gone it would be puming inside the timing cover
galley plugs were there on both ends - talking to a engine rebuilder here, he thinks its extra clearance in the main bearings and connecting rod bearings that's causing the oil pressure to drop - he suggestes to change all the bottom end bearings - shortblock has ~250000 miles

92 C.vic has the same 4.6L SOHC motor in it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Did you have pressure problems before the heads swap?

Does your oil pressure fluctuate at a constant rpm?

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
timb said:
Trust me - if the ones inside the front cover were missing, you would know. Don't ask me why I know this.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts