TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I have a very strange problem with my '94 LX that I was hoping someone here could help me with. After driving for a while (getting the engine warm) whenever I stop the oil pressure gauge needle will start flickering. Lightly at first, but then worse, all the way down to the red. Almost like its having a little siezure. This happens only when its in drive.
After driving for a while, every time I come to a red light or stop sign I have to put it in nuetral or park. I know that doing so raises the RPM so I assume that has something to do with it. I have cleaned the sending unit wire but that hasn't helped. I'm not sure what to do next. I would hate to invest in a new oil pump if that might not be the problem. any ideas?

Grey

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
change the sending unit... It's a very common problem latly for some reason

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thanks for the quick response. I am doing some google searches now but do you know of any good parts suppliers online that I might look at? or would a local place be best you think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks. I have been searching there but to be honest am not exactly sure what the part is actually called. I did find an "Oil Tempurature Sender" in the search page but not the product page. is that what I am looking for?

edit: *** I think I found what I need. under "electrical-switch and relay". I found:
Motocraft part#sw1311 Oil Pressure Sender/Switch, w/Mechanical inst. Cluster w/o Oil Gauge (#D4AZ9278A) Listed at $5.90
(http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Motorcraft/Detail.html?sw-1311.gif)

That sound about right?

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Dont know if this will help but a guy I know had the same problem with his SC. He had added some seafoam a few days earlier and I guess it thinned out the oil causing the same problem you are having. I dont know if this will help but couldnt hurt to check and see if the oil is super thin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there may be something there. I notced the problem almost directly after my last oil change. I used Royal Purple 5w-20. I will change the oil again too and see if that helps. did your friend's car stop doing it after the next change?

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Yes it did. He replaced it with MOBIL 1 15-50. After that he didnt have any problems. I know he was told that he could have a problem with the pump but not sure. I will talk to him tomorrow about it more and let you know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent. thanks. As of now this is more of a problem of convenience. I am pretty quick to hit neutral when coming to a stop, I just shouldn't have to. Besides, it is starting to have negative mental side effects. More than a couple times I have not thought about it and moved the automatic shifter in my girlfriends car down one spot, nearly hitting any car behind me in a parking lot (one down from neutral = drive...one down from park = reverse) heheh getting sort of paranoid :)

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
I think you should be able to see how thin your oil is from the dipstick. All I know is when he changed his it was like water. I didnt think Royal Purple has thin oil. Did you add anything to it that could thin it out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, I haven't added anything to the oil since it was changed. the only thing I can think of that had changed was the oil weight. I went from 10w-30 to the 5w-20

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Im not sure how much of a difference that will make and maybe someone can chime in here. When you get a chance check your oil tomorrow and see how it looks and I will ask my buddy.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It is probably the sender or the connection at the sender. I had a similar problem after doing the oil gauge mod described in the tech articles. I cut off that 'slip-over' connector and just put a connector on that I could attach to the sender with a nut. That solved my problem.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
GreyRadean said:
It does seem a little thinner than other oils I have used.

thats because it is thinner than other oils. 5W20 is used because of CAFE and gas mileage standards. Just go back to 10w30.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Saleentbird, I wouldnt wait to take care of it. It could be a major problem. It could be just thin oil or something alot bigger.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine did that also when I put 5W-30 in there.. It didn't do it while I had 10w-30 in it... so it could be the wrong oil for the temperature outside...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts