TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't tell if its the gage because of all the electical issues I'm having of it I'm really losing pressure. The gae keeps dropping and going back up real fast. Higher rpms less it does it. This just started today after recharging and using my ac. Its never done it before oil is good and full. Any help? I'm about 50 miles from home and have no way to get car home without driving it.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
for starters you want to completely avoid driving at high RPMs at all.

jack up the car and make sure that both the oil sender post is clean, and the little pigtail connector that goes on it is clean. If they ain't making contact, then no signal will get to the gauge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok looked under there. I have power steering fluid EVERYWHERE. I knew I had a leak but holy crap my whole inner drivers wheel well it covered in it. As with everything under the car in that area. I'm going to clean all the stuff to the pressure sensor.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only mobil 1 oil and fram extra guard filters. I'm pretty good about keeping up on the oil and stuff. Did just change head gaskets as well. Less than a month ago.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Might want to change that Fram filter out for a Purolator, Motorcraft or Wix filter. The Fram's are known to cause issues. Just a thought. IIRC Purolator makes the Motorcraft filter. Check Wal-Mart for a good price on the Motorcraft/Purolator filters.

Good oil choice for sure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok will do on the filter. Also. The problem isn't constant. I got to my destination and parked the car for about an hour and started it back up. Drove about 10 miles and it started doing it again. It just went up and down a bunch kinda fast back and forth then stayed down for a while so I pulled off and sat for a bit again then started up and drove off made it about 5 more miles and it is doing it again I'm so afraid to just say f it and drive home.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I changed my oil with the head gasket swap about a month ago and I just check the oil and it is squeeky clean I mean like just poured in clean no discoloration AT ALL on a car with 222k miles that strikes me as odd after a month of driving.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
With it bouncing around like that I'd be inclined to think its a wiring/sender issue. Since it is not a true oil pressure gauge it is either on or off. If it detects any pressure it will read normal, if none then it will bottom out.

If you really want to be sure it's nothing serious then rent/borrow a real oil pressure gauge. Just remove the sending unit and connect the test gauge sending unit in its place and see what it reads in real psi.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well im home now, stopped and picked up a new sender when my car cools off I will install it and clean everything thoroughly under there and check and fix any wires that are bad. I really hope its just minor. ive been on a horrific streak of bad luck with this car because of its age and mileage. im going to fix the power steering leak as well as everything is now coated in power steering fluid. will report back tomorrow probably. thanks for both of your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
That power steering fluid may be part of the problem.

Also, while swapping the sender out, I'd see about upgrading it to a real oil pressure gauge.

RwP

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok checked all the wires they are ok. Cleaned everything up ad replaced the pressure sensor and its still dropping.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
At least 40-60 PSI at operating temp at 2,000 RPM, if I recall correctly.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts

·
3,734 Posts
Sounds like a bad sending unit.

·
3,734 Posts
Did you put Slick 50 in it? lol :gapteeth:

That is very weird. What kind of maintenance has been done to this engine and how long have you had it? Are you sure the gauge is hooked up right?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts