TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a issue with my pressure gauge. while at idle stopped pressure is fine. when im driving and i come to a stop the gauge goes down and my check gauges light comes on, then about 3 seconds later it comes back up. i replaced the pressure switch and its still happening. any ideas on what it might be?

(i got a 4.6L)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
you should pick up an oil pressure sending unit for a late 80s 302, I think the vehicle to specify is an 87 thunderbird 5.0

Unscrew the fake sending unit switch, screw in the new sending unit, plug it into your stock wiring, run a jumper wire around the resistor on the back of the oil pressure guage and you will have a fully functional oil pressure guage...You have no way of knowing if you actually have an oil pressure issue or not until you do that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just changed my oil yesterday. so deff not low oil. ill look up the 302 switch and give it a shot. and will try cleaning the connection. if neither one of these works any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Connection at the sender is gunked up and/or corroded or you're way low on oil
^^

and do the oil pressure gauge mod, it's simple on a 4.6

·
Registered
613 Posts
next time it does it, check the oil level. Add half a quart, note how far up that takes it. See if it does it again. Up to half quart above full.

Got a feeling it wont do it then.

Betting you have a pickup tube problem

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
My gauge died after it started acting weird, got the pressure switch replaced and then it didn't work at all or more specifically it will show oil pressure when key is "ON" but not once the engine is started.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My gauge died after it started acting weird, got the pressure switch replaced and then it didn't work at all or more specifically it will show oil pressure when key is "ON" but not once the engine is started.
You only get oil pressure when the engine is running.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is your 'check gauges' light on while running?

What happens if you disconnect wire to the switch?

·
Registered
239 Posts
i got a issue with my pressure gauge. while at idle stopped pressure is fine. when im driving and i come to a stop the gauge goes down and my check gauges light comes on, then about 3 seconds later it comes back up. i replaced the pressure switch and its still happening. any ideas on what it might be?

(i got a 4.6L)
had the same issue and did the same thing ( change the press switch, checked the wire goin to it and still acted up while the car was in motion). i pulled the instrument cluster out and carefully pulled all the connectors out and inspected for dirty connections, on the connectors i carefully bent some of the pins so it would put a little more pressure on the contacts when it was plugged back in.
never had a problem again. hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You got the wrong part; ours closes circuit over 7 psi; the one you have is probably for a mark.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i havent hooked up a mechanical gauge yet. but i disconnected the switch and left it off for a day. put it back on and it seems to be good now. maybe was just a dirty connection?

otherwise, it seems normal again. i deff appriciate all the advice!

·
Registered
239 Posts
so i havent hooked up a mechanical gauge yet. but i disconnected the switch and left it off for a day. put it back on and it seems to be good now. maybe was just a dirty connection?

check for broken wires you'll be surprised how wires get specially if the run right under the engine in our 15 years+ cars

·
Registered
197 Posts

can someone explain to me how to do this or take a picture of what to remove an clean?? thanks a million this is driving me nuts. After an oil change it took weeks for this to start up again. Now it does it everyday I drive it. Light on meter down, light off meter normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts