TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so they didn't put the oil pressure gauge in the 97s. is there still a spot to put a sender so I can hook up my autometer one? or do I have to wait for when I do my oil filter relocation?

thanks,
-steve

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
theres actually still a sender there just incase u lose oil pressure and actually even the 96 and under ones are just a dummy guage. So yes theres a spot to stick a sender by the oil filter

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
ummmmmm off the top of my head i dont know theres a tech article in the work in progress area for swapping a better oil pressure sender i cant remember if it said the size

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
thread is 1/4 pipe thread.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yep, its a plug in the oil filter adapter. Just remove the plug and put your sending unit in there. When I bought my cheapo mechanical gauge it came with an adapter to fit the line into it. I'd imagine most mechanical or electrical gauges come with adapters to make them fit.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Use the mechanical gauges. The sending unit for the electrical oil pressure gauge get in the way of the sway bar when the wheels are fully extended and also need 90* adaptors. It's ugly and the 12v connection likes to come off over time. Use the mechanical with the metal tubing. I Got the 6 foot copper tubing instead of the plastic that comes with the kit because the tubing runs pretty close to the manifold. It's just barely enough to reach gauges mounted in the lower din of the console. Just remember to disconect the battery first because the main power from the alternator to distribustion fuse box is right there and if you ground it accidently you will burn the bejesus out of your fingers right now. Don't ask me how I know but I do know why they supply plastic tubing. Cover the brass tubing completly with 1/4" flex plastic cover up the the point it reaches inside the car and tape it with electrical tape. Also use the Mechanical water temp gauge to the lower din.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thats pretty much exactly what I have.

One question. Do you get any sound from your copper tubing? I can hear what sounds like engine noise being passed through the metal of the tubing to the gauge. Its very fiaint, and only nocticeable when I rev it up.

And thanks for the tip on wrapping it!

·
Registered
573 Posts
No noise for me, but it could be engine noise passing thru the hole you made to run the tubing. When I use the plastic cover tubing I wrap it 100% with tape. Works good and looks good too.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I use the electrical gauge on my '97.

However, when I used to road race, my race car had a mechanical gauge. I used a braided steel line with -AN fittings. It's much easier to route and connect than the copper. I bought the preassembled line at a dirt track shop for less than $20. A couple of adapters shouldn't cost more than another $10.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
The sending unit for the electrical oil pressure gauge get in the way of the sway bar when the wheels are fully extended and also need 90* adaptors. It's ugly .

a 45* works just fine on mine, has for years.

ugly, no comment. function over form. its under the car whats the difference youll never see it unless your under it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
^what he said

1 - 15 of 15 Posts