TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I did the oil pressure mod so that i have a functioning guage again. I am having a problem. after the car is warmed up all the way, i idle about 550-600 in gear. when i am at a stoplight, or idling through a parking lot, the guage drops to zero and the check guages light comes on . it has great pressure all other times. if i bump the throttle up to 625-650, the light goes out and the guage goes to the N in normal. it is like it is cutting out the guage completely at idle. i am almost positive that i am not losing oil pressure.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I took some pics when it happened and will post them when I get home, I am at work right now.

thanks,

Jamie

btw, not sure if this is a guage problem, a motor problem, or what, so I put the thread here. if it needs moved, please feel free to do so.

Jamie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, just checked it day before yesterday and filled it to full (goes through about a quart per 1200 miles) due for a change in august

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible that i have a bad sender on this thing?

·
Registered
620 Posts
try to put some thicker oil in it,with my high milage engine i have to run 20w50in the summer to keep the iol pressure up,also try using a ford iol filter if u are not already
mike

·
Registered
620 Posts
by chance do u have underdrive pullys?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no underdrive pulleys. the volt guage dipped because the ac compressor kicked on. the connection at the sender is clean. it just seems weird to me that the motor would lose all oil pressure at idle, but just off idle it comes all the way back to where it is supposed to be. i am thinking this almost has to be electrical.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats my line of thought on it. the main reason i posted this though was because i know others have done this mod and wondered if anybody else had had this problem.

thanks for the input guys.

jamie

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
What sender did you use?

I used the NAPA one, I'm pretty sure the part # is OP6091SB...I think that is the sender for an 85 Mustang 302. Never had any problems with it, but I broke it while working near it's vicinity and replaced it with the Niehoff unit from AutoZone. The AZ unit was junk, it gave a different reading every day so I went back to NAPA and got a replacement, that one too worked fine with no problem.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
used a Niehoff OP24761 from Autozone, 11.99. Told them it was for an 88 5.0 bird.

on the way home it wasnt doing it anymore, so i am going to stretch its legs out tomorrow and see if i can make it do it again. i had the tach down to about 550 with no problems, so i guess we will see.

Thanks guys,

Jamie

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Just out of curiosity,

I'm having similar issues (don't know if the previous owner did the Oil pressure mod)...

What (aside from low oil) could cause low oil pressure? I've got gauge faces with numbers. Sometimes (rare now) the needle goes back up to the middle of the scale, but most days it is sitting just above where the "check gauges" light will come on.

-Josh

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well it is doing it again, but only after either long times running (will start all of a sudden) or hitting a bad bump in the road. I am pulling the cluster back out tonight and checking the solder on the resistor, i think it isnt making good contact and when it doesnt, the smaller signal from the new sender cant make it past the 20 ohms and it kills the guage.

i was having another problem before the mod too though. for no reason, the guage would bottom out and check guages would come on, then it would go back to just above the threshold for the light. other times it would read in the middle of the guage, however those times were far and few between. i attributed this to the sender being bad, however i am wondering about the cluster. I have another cluster sitting in the garage, i might jump the resistor on the back of it and throw it in the car and see if i can get anywhere if the solder on the back of the current cluster is still good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no joy. swapped in the other cluster with no change in what is happening. I am thinking it is heat related somehow...just dont know how. it happens when it gets to the middle of the temp guage, which is where it normally sits. i am going to check out the wire and trace it out and make sure there is nothing weird going on there.

btw, solder job was still top notch on the other cluster, so i am back to square one so to speak on this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts