TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. For about 2 days my oil pressure is below where it usually is. It used to sit between the R and M of the guage. Now its dropped below the N. Its about half way between the N and the low line. Is there any common thing that happens with Thuderbirds that I don't know about? I checked the oil today. It was fine. It does need to be changed since it has been about 3,000 miles this week. I don't want to drive the car until I know it won't get damaged so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search before posting. Most of the guys that have asked the question said that the needle jumps up and down. Mine doesn't do that. Its just buried. I will try putting in a new sensor this weekend, but before I do that, would the car feel different if the pressure was that low? Would it make noises or feel underpowered?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Probably not until it started eating away at metal, like camshafts, and bearings, I wouldn't try starting it until you get the problem fixed. It's cheaper to put an oil pump in than a new engine.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Like has been mentioned don't put too much faith in the stock gauge which is about as accurate as the old idiot lights. If you think there is a problem check it with a mechanical gauge

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Pooperscooper said:
I did a search before posting. Most of the guys that have asked the question said that the needle jumps up and down. Mine doesn't do that. Its just buried. I will try putting in a new sensor this weekend, but before I do that, would the car feel different if the pressure was that low? Would it make noises or feel underpowered?
You may have already read this.....it may apply to your '94 also:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=161718#post161718

Good luck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Before you plan changing your oil pump, check the wire to the sender. Make
sure its not corroded at the terminal and along its length. Make sure the
insulation is'nt cracked. You might want to hook up an oil pressure gauge
to the sender port and see if you have pressure or not.

Chris...................:D

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would think it's more than likely the sender. My bird used to suffer from low oil pressure (sludged up block...thats how I got it so cheap!) when I first bought it. It would lose pressure due to the pickup getting clogged. The gauge inside would completely drop off and not rise. The drop in oil pressure caused BAD lifter (or cam follower?) rattle. It was horrible. Fixed the pressure problem and viola....no more rattling, even under WOT. So, I would say that if you pressure really was low, you would be hearing some lifter noise. Just to be safe though, mechanical gauge checking wouldn't be a bad idea if you had one laying around. The sender is really cheap, my last one was like $7 at oreilley's.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

My car has sat for 2 days. My step-dad said to check the oil one more time. I don't know why, but the oil was very low this time. I'm not sure why because it had been fine a few days ago. To cure the problem I bought a few quarts of oil. I added 2 quarts and the oil level seems to be fine again. I decided to take it for a drive. Driving at a normal speen and keeping RPMs under 2500 the pressure was still low. Now is the part that got me confused. I decided that if I was gonna burn up the engine, this would be the time (I have the money for an engine swap, just need a reason). So I opened her up. When the car got to 5000 RPM the pressure took a shot up. It stayed normal as long as my foot was on the gas. Once I took my foot off, it started to slowly go down. I'm not a very experienced mechanic, but wouldn't this mean that my oil pump is working if the pressure goes up under a load? I'm guessing it the sender now and it will probably be replaced this weekend.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It's not unknown for magooozalum to get into oil sending units and screw them up......

I think you're playing the right odds, but I'd lay that mechanical gauge on that
engine just to be 100% safe....not a biggie it you're going to switch senders
any way.......just confirms if you're oil pressure is, in fact, okay........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts