TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just installed (replaced) the after market oil pressure gauge in the GT with another. (The old one was sticking). Anyway, its reading 75lbs of oil pressure at idle. It flucutates with engine RPM of course, but could such a high reading at idle indicate a plugged passage somewhere? The left side timing chain is rattling pretty bad...

Any thoughts? I'm planning to take it on a 1.5 hour trip tomorrow, so I'd like to be reassured that its going to be ok. At least temporarily...

·
Registered
620 Posts
soundslike a deff problem,try and put a machinacal gauge on to get a true reading

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL It is a mechanical gauge.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well whatever it was a drive through town fixed it. Its idling at about 25 lbs now, and goes up to normal levels with RPM. One less thing to worry about! :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I look at my oil gauge, the pressure is in direct relation to coolant temp. Completly warmed up @ idle is 22psi. @ about 190 coolant temp. All depends on how hot the engine is.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
When I look at my oil gauge, the pressure is in direct relation to coolant temp. Completly warmed up @ idle is 22psi. @ about 190 coolant temp. All depends on how hot the engine is.
Exactly. 75 at idle cold would not be unheard of

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I let it warm up first. But whatever it was, its ok now. New project for the day is installing a tranny cooler, and possibly pulling a valve cover to check on the timing chain rattle.

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
On a new 4.6L, during a cold weather cold start, 90-100 psi isn't out of the question. 75 psi at idle on a cold startup is perfectly normal.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it wasn't exactly "cold" but I guess it hadn't warmed up yet. Ok, thanks. :D

Now, new question. Is it even possible for a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make noise? I got a noise coming from the dash and can't figure it out. Sounds like its coming from the gauge!!

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
Anything is possible. That being said, I've never noticed any noise from a mechanical gauge, though the vehicles that I have here or that I have worked on with mechanical gauges weren't exactly quiet enough to make noticing little noises possible. ;)

-Rod

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL Understood. It does seem to go away when a good song by Lynnard Skynnard comes on! ;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Well whatever it was a drive through town fixed it. Its idling at about 25 lbs now, and goes up to normal levels with RPM. One less thing to worry about! :D
It was that toilet paper roll you use for an oil filter! (True story by the way) Had a little piece stuck in a hole.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Michael did you get the rough running squared away ?

T
LOL Yea, its running ok now, smooth idle, pulls well. Just got to get the noisy timing chain taken care of.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
IM reviving this thread and as I recently had my car worked on after I tried to install a new power steering pump, ended up being more work than I had even thought of so when I ran into a problem I just didnt want to deal with it and gave it to shop to fix. I tried to do the job but I ran out of time and I ruined the threads on this new rack LOL well returned the core anyway and gave it to a shop. THe cuts on my hands are still healing from a few days ago so I am left with a great driving car now after they got done with it. It has a new rack new power steering pump and I installed the 1.25 addco front bar to match the rear one. It has new tires on it with SC rims now. So I have to use it to deliver pizza in it which is cool because its not going to rust so why not get some use out of it. THe summer here has pushed the cars cooling system to the limit. I already melted a 60amp fuse to the electric fan. THat all being said

My variable gauge mod for the "stock" oil pressure reading is reading nearly at the edge of the normal hot end line all the time except in idle sometimes or if I accelerate really slow it will stay more in the middle of the norm reading. So I dont think all mine or the shops monkey business did anything to hurt the engine. I check the oil level all the time now and find that the reading changes depending when I check it. I use Mobil 1 clean 5000 cause it resist burning pretty well but my car needed some oil added and after I did that I noticed the higher oil pressure readings. I thought I over filled but its not the case.

Im just using some anecdotal evidence for the heat argument changing the pressure. I havent seen the gauge do this before but then again I never drove this much in the summer daytime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts