TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 T-bird with a 5.0, and lately, it's been giving me some crap on the oil pressure gauge side, and as it's been really cold here lately, it's had a miss, or drag when it is first started in the morning. My concern is the combination of these two. I run 10W30 Valvoline Max year round, and haven't had any usage issues until about a month ago. No smoke, no puddles, but strangely the oil level on the stick seems to drop. I just put oil in a few weeks ago, and it hasn't been driven, but the oil pressure gauge keeps dropping out when I hit the brakes hard, or if I'm going around a corner quickly. I know it's just a dummy gauge, but should the combination of rough idle at start up, and this oil gauge be something of concern? Oil pump perhaps? I haven't dug in too deeply yet, but I wanted some opinions before I start. Thoughts? Thanks a lot!

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oil Pressure

I'd put a mechanical pressure gage on it to verify the oil pressure.... I've had issues with the oil pressure sending unit and with the gage in the dash so it's probably best to rule those both out or verify there really is a oil pressure problem (i hate the stock dum-dum gages)... Get a cheap gage with a plastic line and tape it to the windshield.... If you could tee the two together it would be best so when you see oil pressure issues on the dash gage you could verify it/eliminate it with the mechanical gage but if you can't tee them then just having a mechanical gage and running it through the same scenarios you are currently having issues with would at least verifyrule it out somewhat..... The oil level issue is strange... If it's not leaking out it must be getting injected through the PCV system.... If it's disappearing and you haven't run it I don't know what it could be.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.