TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the answer I needed deep within the archives of the search function (forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=463), but it stands to be mentioned possibly chronicled somewhere else as well that the oil pressure sensor/switch is different between the 94-96 and the 97 or more simply put for those swapping motors from PI engines or mark 8's there is a difference between the sender for a vehicle with a low oil pressure light (97 thunderbird/93-98 mark viii) and a vehicle with gauge (even though it's a dummy gauge). Just something I had long forgotten and freshly needed to know. If this is already well known then mods feel free to delete this thread.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
IIRC, the wrong sensor will show full oil pressure with KOEoff, then disappear when you start it.

Is all this in the wiring to the 97 dash cluster, and a cluster swap will fix it? Or is the 97 dash harness different?

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
I just reread this, And realized my 97 only has a Light.
D'oh!

This will only be important if I swap clusters.

I do really hate the 97 cluster, and key.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
If the sensor measures shorted on the bench, it will be correct for the 97 + MarkVIII; open will be for earlier cars.

Both are switches; but one is Normally Open and one is Normally Closed. :)

They flip to the opposite state on oil pressure; ~5-10psi.

If these freak out, hope it's a wiring problem; it's too late otherwise, lol.

Thinking about this, our circuit is: a short on pressure to ground, thru a 20 ohm resistor, thru the gauge.

If our <= '96 sensor shorts to the manifold (ground), there should be no change. An open is required to cause a gauge problem.

A 97 or Mark shorts to ground, the light comes on; BUT An open wire only shows on startup KOEO lamps. :) Maybe the eec is designed to look, IDK.

I was surprised to find this out about the 97 cars; I hadn't read that before.

The changes make sense; they actually made a 98 Mark. :)

Our promised '98 SC 4.6 would likely have had this switch as well. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts