TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE GAUGE READS JUST UNDER 75%. IT DOESN'T CHANGE SO I'M NOT WORRIED YET, BUT WILL IT HAVE ANY LONG TERM AFFECTS? rEASON IS THAT THE ENGINE TICKS WITH SLIGHT ACCELERATION AND AS RPM DROP. TRANNY BUCKS DURING UPSHIFT TOO. PLEASE HELP A.S.A.P.

P.S. I HAVE 10W40 OIL IN IT NOW... SHOULD THICKER OIL BE USED?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
1. no.. you should not use thicker oil.. especially on a 95.. the oil pump can't handle the viscosity

2.. cut caps... caps on internet = yelling

3. describe bucking?

4. what gauge you goin by? the stock oil psi gauge is a dummy gauge

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
turn off caps lock, for one. i would put a can of seafoam in the oil and see if that fixes the ticking. whens the last time you changed the tranny fluid?

and dont forget to use the search button, cuz theres a good chance you are gonna ask us what seafoam is :)

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
XR7IST said:
P.S. I HAVE 10W40 OIL IN IT NOW... SHOULD THICKER OIL BE USED?
If anything, you should be running a thinner oil. 10W40 is a pretty thick oil for a 3.8L.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yeah 10w40 is almost a diesel weight. Stick to 10w30, 5w30, or 5w20.

Like big mike said, seafoam it. The stuff is awesome.

the oil pressure gauge is a dummy, like jamesD said, which means it's either reading pressure or its not. It doesnt actually display the psi of pressure.

And just out of tradition :D

-Thomas

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Hmm. I am always reading about this seafoam stuff. I have never used it and I think I should give it a try. I guess Ill try it next time I change my oil. Should I still add all 5 quarts of oil then the seafoam or add 3/4 of the last quart of oil? I have a slight knock after my hg went. Guess I should stick with 10w30.

·
8,978 Posts
the slight knock could be bad, I wouldnt expect seafoam to fix a worn out rod bearing, but its worth a try for 5-6 bucks. I think you add 2/3 of the can to a v6, I wouldnt worry about leaving some oil out.
-Thomas

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, seafoam and lighter oil weight could be a solution for everything...one question though, Would changing the tranny oil cause a problem (sounds dumb) because it should be fresh seeing how the driveshaft was just replaced.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much Obliged

Thank you for responding. I'll be sure to change my oil weight along with an additional bottle of "Seafoam".

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Thomas said:
the slight knock could be bad, I wouldnt expect seafoam to fix a worn out rod bearing, but its worth a try for 5-6 bucks. I think you add 2/3 of the can to a v6, I wouldnt worry about leaving some oil out.
-Thomas
yea I know the knock could be bad, I am not worrying too much about it right now. It's been over a year since the HG's were done, and I have done my fair share of beating on the car since, and its still holding up fairly well.

·
8,978 Posts
when the driveshaft is removed little, if any, fluid is spilled. The pan holds most of the fluid when the car is not running. And even if it did leak some out they probably would just top it off and call it good. I would replace the tranny fluid and filter like I mentioned and see if that helps.
-Thomas

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
i believe you add seafoam before changing the oil. pour a can in, drive so many miles (dunno the number), then change the oil.

5 hp for an air silencer removal? not a chance. theres no hp gain for removing the air silencer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts