TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well on the 91 I just bought, the Oil pump is bad. Since i got a good deal on it, im not mad about it. How hard are these to change, and what all do i have to do to get to it. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Should be easy, because they are accessible without pulling the oil pan I am sure.

It is on the drivers side of the timing cover, the oil filter attaches to it. Here are the steps from the 97 manual:

Oil Pump

Removal

1. If necessary, remove oil bypass filter (6714).

2. Remove oil pump and filter body to engine front cover retaining bolts and remove oil pump and filter body (6603) from engine front cover (6019).

3. Inspect O-ring for distortion and wear. Replace if necessary.

Installation

1. Position oil pump and filter body on engine front cover and install retaining bolts.

2. Tighten four large engine front cover retaining bolts to 23-32 N-m (17-23 lb-in). Tighten two small retaining bolts to 8-11 N-m (71-97 lb-in).

3. If removed, reinstall oil bypass filter as described.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah, you want to replace the O ring just incase, its like 3 bucks from ford. as for removing the oil pump. its a pain in the ***, just because of the location of the bolts. you'll need a small wratchet and extension to get up in there. and if you have a little brother with small hands you'll need to get his help. it was really hard to get that sucker off and on for me.

also, inspect the walls of the pump where the gears are. if there are chips or dents or something. replace the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts