TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a quick question, I finally got my car together after chnging my timing chain and I want to go ahead and prime the oil pump. I got a loaner primer tool from autozone to hook up to my drill. The opposite end of the thing looks like a hex socket. The guys over at autozone insist that I need to use the shaft that's attached to the distributor. This poses 2 problems in my mind, how do I take apart the thing? How do I keep it from falling out of the primer tool once I remove the thing from the engine?

Thanks,

-wil

·
Registered
607 Posts
It is stuck in there with a spring around the shaft, if I remember corretly. Just get a rag around the shaft and with some force yank it out, to put it back in, just push. It will probably fall out a fey times, mine did, just have one of those magnetic pick-up tools to fish it out.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and another quick question,

I got the shaft on the tool, it came aprt exactly as you said. How long should I run the drill? Is there any concern about building up too much pressure by running it too fast or too long with the engine off?

Thanks,

-wil

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would prime the pump for a good 5 min. You wont hurt the engine. It is better that it is oiled up then not. Remember, you will be "drilling" in the reverse direction.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts