TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to replace the oil pump on the Explorer motor I have. The only one that is motorcraft branded is the "high volume" one with a 23mm input. The stock unit is a 21mm pickup. Will the pickup tube from the high volume one work in my Thunderbird, or do I need a different one? Rock Auto doesn't carry a Motorcraft unit.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed on both counts.
Got a part number of what I should get? Not seeing pickup tunes anywhere. Can I reuse my pickup tube if I flush it?

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
You won't find replacement pickup tubes for a MN12 pan anywhere. For a stock build, a Melling M176 would be a good pump. Yes, you can flush out your pickup tube and reuse it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You won't find replacement pickup tubes for a MN12 pan anywhere. For a stock build, a Melling M176 would be a good pump. Yes, you can flush out your pickup tube and reuse it.
Awesome, mine is a little hotter than stock though, ported heads, kooks, mhs stage 2 cams. The melling still sufficient?

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
Planning on keeping it below 6500 rpm? What size harmonic damper will you be running?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it's a fun street car, highest I expect to spin it is 6000.

Running under drive pulling, so the harmonic balancer is smaller than stock. I can measure it if it helps. It's a good one, not one of those two piece ones.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
The M176 should be sufficient. If you want additional insurance, the M10227 is a great pump, but I think it's overkill for this setup and would require the '95-98 FN10 pickup tube.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The M176 should be sufficient. If you want additional insurance, the M10227 is a great pump, but I think it's overkill for this setup and would require the '95-98 FN10 pickup tube.
Thank you! I'll get pricing on an M176 and get one ordered.

Flush out the old pickup tube with cheap 30W oil?

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
No problem. I'd use a solvent. Acetone, mineral spirits, kerosene, old gas...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the subject of oil systems...

My oil pan has windage baffles, does this make it a Mark 8 pan, or did the Thunderbird have baffles and windage too?

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
No. The distinctive feature of the Mark VIII pan is the protrusion from the right side (tumor) that holds 1 extra quart of oil, the rest of the pan is otherwise identical to the Tbird, save for the oil level/temp sensor anyway.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. The distinctive feature of the Mark VIII pan is the protrusion from the right side (tumor) that holds 1 extra quart of oil, the rest of the pan is otherwise identical to the Tbird, save for the oil level/temp sensor anyway.
Gotcha, thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts