TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What can cause the oil pump to go bad? for the last 2 or 3 days, the oil pressure, according to the factory idiot gauge, has been lower than normal, fluctuates, and I've gotten a check gauges light twice. It has never done this before. I just bought an oil pressure switch, and will replace it ASAP. Hopefully that is the problem, not the pump... But if it doesn't fix it...

Thanks

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I would bet it's the sensor, They are known to go bad. The 4.6 oil pumps are very stout and the only issue I've seen are the guys that are running very serious HP have broken the gears.

-Scott

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
I would bet it's the sensor, They are known to go bad. The 4.6 oil pumps are very stout and the only issue I've seen are the guys that are running very serious HP have broken the gears.

-Scott
I agree that it's probably the sensor...

And a tip: DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT!!

I had mine replaced and they over tightened it and cracked the housing. :(

It was a huge PITA to change out that housing. Just some friendly advise. :D

Good luck. :thumbsup:

p.s. I too call "foul" on using the correct tools.... that's cheating!! :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
94 Daily Driven 4.6L, Thanks for the friendly advise... UNFORTUNATLEY, sinde I used the FORD service manual, I was putting it in and trying to torque it to the specs listed in the manual (12-18 ft-lbs) and I CRACKED THE HOUSING!!!! ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

So my car is out of comission until further notice... and Ford wants $190!!!!!

Does anyone happen to have the part number so I can look for a good price on a new (or used) one?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I posted about the salvage yards on your other post.

But, here's another option. Pull it off and have it welded. It's only aluminum and any welding shop should be able to get you set up.

If you have trouble finding a used one, let me know as I have my old one that I've already had welded up. I'd swap you for yours if needed. But I need mine for a new engine I'm building, but just not right now.

Again, good luck!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I think I have a new stock Modular oil pump sitting in my garage. I pulled it off my 5.4L a few years ago and replaced it with a high flow pump. I can check if you like. If I have it pay shipping/ packaging and it's yours... No sensor though...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I get the new "Filter Adapter" installed, We'll see if the pressure seems in the right area. If not, I do have a pump that I took out of a 4.6 from a '99 F-150. Only problem with that one is I'm not sure if it's good. The engine was run without oil, and caused it to score the bearings and throw the #8 piston. Not sure if any of the filings (lots of them) that where in the oil pan made it up into the pump, but if it was run without oil, I doubt it. I'll keep in mind that you have a pump, though. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... I got a "new" "adapter", and installed it.... came off a '94 Cougar. No oil leaks, and pressure is being reported where it usually should be.

The old coolant was kinda black with a greenish tint... any idea why? Does that usually happen when it gets old? One other wierd thing I found was there is a greyish powdery sludge in the resivoir. Anyone seen that before, and if so, what is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... I'm reviving this thread because according to the idiot gauge, I'm having oil pressure problems again.. The thing is, there is a brand new sender (less than a month old). Often, on startup, the pressure is reported as lower than normal, and the check gauges light remains on past the self test time. It still goes through about a quart in 1500 miles, but it didn't when I got the car. I do know the rings are shot. What could be causing this reported low pressure, and where could the oil be going so fast?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts