TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of listening to a lifter/pushrod problem i've had for almost a year now and it's time for "hell or highwater".
I've contemplated on running a dual exhaust however i'd like to fix the problem, not just cover it up, before doing so.
Then came the old oil weight routine ... Well it's not a solution!
So i know it's not time to dig into my 3.8 just because I hear a noise but dropping the oil pan to do an oil pump swap could happen. Okay, before any attempts, am I correct when assuming there's an oil pump inside?Please, some help from a master technician or driveway do-it-yourselfer is needed, as well as appreciated. I'd like to know how difficult of a procedure this is along with a few steps to get started alone(components, gears, tips etc.)

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Well there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that to get to the oil pump you have to either remove the engine or drop the K member. The good news is that the 3.8 is pretty easy to remove since it is pretty simple and there is ample room to work under the hood. If you are going to do this yourself, make sure you have a good set of sockets, ratchets, extensions, swivels, and wrenches. You will also have to raise the car (ramps usually work best for an engine swap) and rent an engine hoist (place by me charges me $20/day to rent it, and you really only need it for one or 2 days). Also get a chiltons manual on the tbirds/cougars. Any other questions, I'm sure you can get your answers here. Maybe there is someone closer to you who would be willing to help with the swap too.

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I won't do anything unless it's an Engine Swap (five year/unlimited mile warranty). In the mean time I'll save money and look into hydraulics PpSshhh

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
are you sure it's your oil pump? not a thrown or bent rod? anyways changing an oil pan isnt a big deal. all you gotta do is get an engine hoist and lift it up enough to get the oil pan around the frame. if your lucky you can go to a high school and have them do it for free labor. (thats what i did when i cracked my oil pan) :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,218 Posts
You don't have to drop the oil pan to get at the oil pump on the 3.8, the oil filter goes right on it. I borrowed a picture here from Brad!

Joe

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
Rodeo Joe said:
You don't have to drop the oil pan to get at the oil pump on the 3.8, the oil filter goes right on it.

Joe
:zwthstpd:

Swapping oil pumps really isn't too terrible of a job on a 3.8L. No need to pull the engine or drop the K-member.

-Rod

·
Registered
814 Posts
Instead of replacing the pump why not kick up the pressure from the bypass? I've done it to other vehicles with external pumps. There should be a one inch size bolt type thing. Unscrew it and find a 1/8inch thick spacer, out of steel preferably. The name of the game is to increase the spring pressure inside the pump. 1/8inch should kick i up five/ten pounds in oil pressure or so. If need be add more?

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
if you replace your oil pump get a real ford unit with a houseing and gears all in one. its alot micer peice and it fits better together. i bought some melling gears and put them in the old houseing and if it was too tight the gears would bind. also the ceaper O-ring seal hardned and cracked in 30,000 miles. the original one had 132,000 on it. the ford piece was a breeze.

prime the pump.

like was said you can do it with pulling the motor. if i remember it was 6 bolts.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
3 10mm bolts and 3 8mm bolts. It sucks getting to the bolts behind the pump as opposed to the front exposed ones, but it's still doable without jacking up the engine, let alone dropping the k-member or removing the engine entirely.

What have you tried other than oil weight to fix the chatter though? Does it happen at a certain rpm? under a certain amount of load? Have you tried putting seafoam in the oil? I've seen it fix the problem a few times. But if it's a collapsed lifter then it'll need replacing. I really would find it hard to believe that the oil pump is the culprit, especially if you've driven it for a year with this problem and not destroyed the motor yet. I would suggest removing the upper intake, lower intake, and valve covers and replacing your lifters, because like I said, I honestly doubt the oil pump is the problem.

-Thomas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts