TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I again have a problem I am trying to get the bottom of with my wifes SC. When we first got the car it had a mild case of what we thought was valve clatter. It happened at idle and under load. Now It has gotten louder. I have tried 5w-30 and 10w-30 oil and even ran seafoam. I took it to the dealer and was told by two different mechanics that since the vehicle is supercharged they'd reccomend 20w-50 race quality oil. Apparently this is the type of oil that Ford Racing and Eaton recommend for supercharged applications. Suggestions? Also does anyone know if these cars require valve adjustments or not? I only ask because I had an 86 Mustang that had the 3.8 and apparently had self adjusting valves.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure its not as I use Supreme Chevron Gas 91 Octane, which is the highest available in Cali. I was told that Chevron is the best. Any suggetions?

·
5,650 Posts
Just out of curiousity, have you cleaned the MAF sensor and reset the computer to see if that will help any? In your sig you say you have a K&N filter, and this can dirty the MAF and cause a lean running condition, which could cause pinging.

It might be bad lifters or some other mechanical problem, but it's kind of hard to tell without hearing it first hand.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently cleaned the MAF. Although I am not sure how to reset the computer. If it is bad lifters how much would it cost for a shop to take car of that?

·
5,650 Posts
You normally reset the computer via the #15 fuse in the engine compartment, although I'm not 100% sure 93's have that. Just unplug it for a minute or so and plug it back in.

If the problem is indeed valvetrain, I'm sure it will be quite expensive to take care of that. While I've never worked on an SC myself, I've seen the engine compartment and know there is a lot of stuff to take off to access the valve covers and be able to remove the intake manifold. I'm guessing that if the lifters were the problem, the total cost of parts and labor would exceed $700.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Could be the 91 octane gas. It seems like I read somewhere that at least 92 octane should be ran in an SC. Maybe it was the owners manual for my 94, not sure, but if I were you I'd pull the octane plug to see if the chattering stops. Pulling the octane plug is supposed to pull a few degrees of timing out of the ignition.
I always run 93 octane in both of my SC's and have never heard any chattering.:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is bad lifters would adding lucas oil stabilizer or adding heavier weight oil quiet it down for a little while? I wasn't sure if it was bad to use thicker oil in these SC's or not. I was considering 3 Quarts 10w40 and 2 quarts of Lucas Oil Stabilizer for now. Think that might help out with quieting it?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and where is this octane plug at?

·
5,650 Posts
I think the octane plug is by the MAF sensor but don't hold me to that.

If the problem is bad lifters, using heavier weight oils might aleviate the problem some, but it definitely won't cure it. Also, the oil additives might help to, but it's still only temporary. It would just be a band-aid.

·
Banned
613 Posts
20w 50 racing oil in our sc's really? i use 5w 30 royal purple. should i change it? isnt that to thick?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what I was wondering. Two seperate ford dealers told me the same thing. I then contacted eaton and I was told that any less then 10w-40 is not recommended. He told me that 20w-50 wouldn't be bad but not entirely neccesary. So needless to say I am confused as to what I should do. My car is still making the noise and my mechanic cannot decide if its an exhaust leak or valve or both. He did say that running thicker oil should quiet down the valve (If its the problem) until I am able to afford any repairs. He suggested 3 quarts 10w-40 and 2 bottles of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Input anyone?

·
Banned
613 Posts
what ding bat i am..lol:rolleyes: i have the stinking dealer mechanic manual in my car. ill see what they say.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recommended (from factory), is 10W-30. People who actually run these cras, especially if they have any miles on them, reccomend 15W-50 in the summer, and no less then 10W-30 in the winter. Check SCCOA, and search for oil recommendations from members there.
Pay special attention to XR7 Dave, and his experience with running the stock block with some miles and a lot of power.

Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts