TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have an oil temp gauge hooked up? Im thinking of putting one on my 89 sc but im not sure if you have to tap some sort of sensor into the oil pan or something....that would be kind of a pain. I just want to know the experiences of somebody who has that. I just bought my 3 gauge pillar pod and for sure im getting Autometer Ultra Lite's A/F ratio and trans temp. thanx

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HHmmm...maybe no body has installed an oil temp gauge?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well I haven't installed an engine oil temp gauge, but I do have a trans temp and aftermarket coolant temp gauge. Let me tell you from experience, that the gauge sender must either be in the pan or directly in the flow of oil, so that the oil flows over it. Any other way, and it will not work correctly and will most likely give lower-than-normal readings. If you don't want to tap into the pan, then just reroute some of the oil flow from the oil filter to a tee or tee block which also contains your sending unit, and then back to the engine. Remember to ensure good oil flow by making sure that even with the sender in place enough oil can still flow around it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i gotcha...man, thanx for the reply. I'll have to see if there's an easy way to do this, or else i might switch to a new gauge. Esentially, its the same thing as the trans temp gauge, but for that the cooling lines are in easy acess to tap and get the sender in.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Here's my way of installing an oil temp gauge:

Pull the drain plug, drill a hole in it, thread the hole, then install the temp sending unit in the plug. Put an electrical connection on it so when you drain the oil, you just unplug the connector, pull the drain plug out and go for it.

I've installed a lot of temp gauges like that, but the only issue is if the plug isn't big enough.

Just my thoughts. :thumbsup:

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
CaifanSC: You can buy an adapter that you screw onto the block where the oil filter goes. It has 2 ports on the side (feed and return) for connecting to an engine oil cooler and/or remote oil filter. You can also get one that retains the oil filter in the stock location and simply has connections on the side for running your lines to whatever you want. If you buy one of these adapters, you can just tap into the cooler lines, even if you don't actually have a cooler hooked up...although an engine oil cooler wouldn't be a bad idea...I plan on getting one eventually.

If you do decide to go the alternate route (tapping the pan) make sure there is adequate clearance for the sender in the area you drill the hole.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Here's my way of installing an oil temp gauge:

Pull the drain plug, drill a hole in it, thread the hole, then install the temp sending unit in the plug. Put an electrical connection on it so when you drain the oil, you just unplug the connector, pull the drain plug out and go for it.

I've installed a lot of temp gauges like that, but the only issue is if the plug isn't big enough.

Just my thoughts. :thumbsup:
To bring this thread back to life...

Would this REALLy work, the way you are saying? I am installing a couple more gauges (diff. temp., water temp., and oil temp.). What all is required for a diff. temp. hook up!? Does anyone know?!

-Kornhaus

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
All that is required for ANY temp gauge, electric or mechanical, is a good flow of fluid over and around the sending unit. This is especially true with the mechanical gauges, electric units aren't so fussy about it, but you still need good flow regardless. Also, if you have an electric model, you'll need to make sure that all your electrical connections stay clean and tight, especially the signal wire from the sender unit, and the sender's ground, whatever that may be.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
scottkornhaus said:
What all is required for a diff. temp. hook up!? Does anyone know?!

-Kornhaus
You'll likely either need to drill and tap the diff case or diff cover for the sending unit. IMHO, it's really not worth the hassle to see what temp your diff fluid is.

-Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts