TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda oils and such does everyone run and all.....im goin to 10w40....or 15w40 on my next oil change.....im wondering if i should go to synthetic at all.....im looking for opinions and whos tried out diffrent things

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I use Mobil 10W-30 Synthetic blend in my stock '95 motor. When I put in my new (less than 1000 miles) 02 Explorer motor, I'll be using Mobil 1 10W-30.

·
Registered
850 Posts
JoeyICU said:
what kinda oils and such does everyone run and all.....im goin to 10w40....or 15w40 on my next oil change.....im wondering if i should go to synthetic at all.....im looking for opinions and whos tried out diffrent things
-----------------------------------------------------
I got my 97 Bird with 72,000 miles, and used mainly Motorcraft 10w-40, until i learned that the 4.6L midular engines have small clearances and tolerance levels, and that a 10w-40 weight wouyld not give enough protection. (although the car ran fine on 10w-40 motorcraft)

at 82,000 miles I switched directly to a full synthetic Pennzoil 10w-30 in summer, without doing an engine flush (like Auto Rx), and this was a mistake, at least for me. The result was an oil consumption of half quart per 2,600 miles. Not a disaster, but this has never happened before, and it worried me, so I went to Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-30(has more synthetic oil than a regular syn."blend", and the weight is close to a regular 10-40), and the consumption was less, but still consumes a little. The car does run great on this oil, with MOTORCRAFT oil fliter(FL820-s), which I've always used, but I want to have zero consumption, like it had with dino oil.

That's MY personal experience, and right now I'm planning to do a Auto RX flush treatment, and try synthetic oil again (I try to learn all about oils and Auto Rx at www.bobistheoilguy.com) . In my opinion, my mistake was switching from dino to full synthetic WITHOUT cleaning the engine at 82,000 miles.
After Auto Rx, I plan to use Chevron or German Castrol(dino or syn), depending on how good my seals are reconditioned after Auto Rx treatment .

When it comes to syn.oil, Mobil 1 is on the thinner side, and Castrol(german version, 0w-30 is VERY thick, althought has GREAT flow capabilities), and Chevron Supreme syn, Redline, and Royal purple are heavier.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by dino ol do you mean regular store bought non syn oil?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
JoeyICU said:

Castrol High Mileage 10w30. I completed the Auto-Rx treatment several months ago, though I can't ascertain clearly if there's an improvement or not. My car has over 233,000 mile on it, and I've been diligent with oil changes. Though I haven't watched as closely lately, it appears there's a little less oil consumption than before the Auto-RX treatment. For example, I added ~1½qt. at 1500 - 2000 miles prior to the Auto-RX treatment; recently, it was just a ½qt. at the same interval. Is it the oil, the Auto-RX treatment, or both? I honestly don't know, since, right after the Auto-RX treatment, I used Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 for two oil changes, and observed the same ~1½qt. consumption as before the treatment.

An interesting experiment, to say the least. I plan on staying with the Castrol High Mileage 10w30 for now. Why did I switch? Price. Wal-Mart has a great price on a 5qt. jug of Mobil 1 (<$19), but, to add 1-1½ quarts at 1500-2000 miles, even at that price, defeated the savings the 5qt. jug.

Anyway, I don't know of any reason why you couldn't switch to synthetic oil, unless you're observing oil leaks, or other oil-related problems. Synthetics are 'cleaner' (for lack of a better description), and it's possible your car will benefit from it, IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts