TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to recharge my filter today, got it cleaned no problem, but when it came time to re oil, things didn't seem right.

For back round incase you've never dealt with a reusable air filter. The k&n oil is red, making the filter look red. When it's washed, it turns white because all the oil is gone. You then, in my case, use the k&n aerosol can of oil and go up and down and coat it with oil and let it soak until it's evenly red, if it's not after 20min, add a little more oil.

I sprayed it with oil and I was cautious because I didn't want too much oil. I waited 20 min. The side I sprayed was sort of pink and the other side was pretty much still white. I sprayed some more and waited a bit longer, about 30 min. I was more red but there was still spots that looked pretty white. I sprayed a bit more. After waiting, still the same thing. I felt like I sprayed a lot of oil by now, but it still wasn't all red. So I threw it back in the car because I needed to go somewhere. The car actually ran very smooth, because of the air filter? I don't know. But when I got back home I opened the air box and the top "clean" side looked almost as red as a new one, but the "dirty" side dripped oil all over my air box. So on the dirty side of the filter there was oil every where, but on the clean side it was as clean as a whistle. I took a white paper towel and wiped the clean side of the box and there was no oil so things seem to be fine as far as no oil contaminating sensors and such.

What could I have been doing wrong or are there any tricks I should know about? I wiped most of the oil out of the air box. I took a paper towel and tried to absorb some of the excess oil off of the filter but not much came out.

Besides gunking up sensors, what are some other problems that could be cause by over oiling an air filter?

·
5,650 Posts
Not really any tricks, just have to spray evenly with good coverage. The only thing that may go awry from over-oiling is contaminating the MAF sensor. Anything else will just end up in the intake tract, which will just join all the oil from the PCV so don't worry.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
My trick is I always rinse from the maf side out and oil only the outside it works it's way in eventually and i've never had problems with over oiling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be sure the filter is completely dry before oiling. You can use a hair dryer on a low setting to speed the drying time. NEVER use compressed air!

In an older vehicle cleaning the MAF sensor can add 4 to 6+ HP. ONLY use MAF cleaner, $6 or $7 dollars at Autozone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts