TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having taught auto shop for a few years I'm aware one can't always use a dictionary for automotive terms, however:

res' o-nator n. a device that produces, or increases sound by, resonance.

I know the Chrysler HEMIs from the '60s had 'resonators' behind their already large 'mufflers', but I'm not sure these weren't any more than another muffler.

Does anyone know what the sound would be like by simply removing the 'resonators'?:tongue:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
IMHO, a resonator and a muffler perform the same function, but in a different way. resonators use baffles, and mufflers use material like fiberglass, steel wool, or even a combonation of the two.

·
Registered
890 Posts
OK, some mufflers use materials like fiberglass or steel wool (like cherry bombs or glass packs), but my Flowmaster MUFFLERS have nothing inside of them except what I would call baffles. They are the 'delta flow' model, so they use the three delta flow baffles to curb the resonance that flowmasters are known for by using the natural resonance set up by the baffles to cancel the resonance that can be transmitted to the interior of the car.

In that respect, the flowmaster mufflers are also resonators.

I think that the difference between mufflers and resonators is that resonators are 'tuned' for a specific rpm or 'tone' where the engine/exhaust combination would have a drone without them. Mufflers on the other hand, work across a broader range and tend to diminish or change all sound coming through them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts