TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit it I'm clueless about sound stuff I have a Sony Indash CD player and 4 speakers(with crossover) that transmit music through them. That's about the extent of what I know about car Audio.
Issue 1 I have a 500 dollar budget
Issue 2 I don't want Ghetto crackle/rattle
Issue 3 I want some BASS to go with the latest from Darude but something that will take a Panteraesque pounding as well
Issue 4 I have luggage that I like to take with me(ie tools,firearms,ammo,parts)
so the trunk will have to be fairly usable after BASSing

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
for the most thump per watt, you probably want to go with a bandpass box. two 12's or just one 15 will give you plenty. look into making your own box, youll save not only on the box, but on making it a custom wedge that will fit nicely into your trunk and not take up too much space.

if you are uncomfortable with making your own stuff, just grab a crutchfield catalog or hop over to their website and start pricing out setups. all you need is an amp, sub(s) and a box. youll need wiring too, but that should only run you $30 total.

also try getting friendly with your local stereo kids, or just go to your local stereo shop and tell them exactly what you posted here.

·
Banned
538 Posts
I suggest you spend 275.00 buy a Infinity Basslink which will give you good clear bass in the car and not rattle it apart and it will still give you that most important space that you need.

PS 275 is with my employee discount let me know if you want one. WIth a wiring kit

Mike :cool:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah I'm with J-Rob

If you don't know what you’re doing you could waste a lot of money. Talk with your local shops if you have any. Here in Dallas we got 3 good ones so it’s easy to get a good price.

I would stay away from the Best Buys and electronics shops find a Car Audio place because they get paid weather you buy from them or not. So they wont try and sell you a bunch of crap that no body is buying just to get it out of their store.

Hope that helps
Good Luck ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Stereo is not hard

All I knew when I started was that each wire had to go somewhere. I just grabbed the color guide and in about 3 hours I rewired my entire system, installed a 4-guage power cable, amp, head unit, speakers, and I'm waiting until I build my funds back up to finish it up with a set of 6x9s on the rear deck and a 10" sub in the trunk. If anyone cares Eclipse is one of the best sounding equipment I've had for the money... I use it in everything.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I second that grabejr...

If anyone cares Eclipse is one of the best sounding equipment I've had for the money... I use it in everything.
I second that I have Eclipse Point Source 6x9 in back and 6 1/2 components in front that are a step up from the Point Source.

I LOVE Them!!!:D

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Crutchfield's a rip

I wouldn't order anything from Crutchfield, they charge way more than stuff is worth. It's easier to buy locally, but I do use Crutchfield for a reference catalog, and sometimes I call them and as for advice, but I never buy from them! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an extremely low budget system in my car that absolutely kicks ass. I suggest you go to www.justamps.com and look into the Crunch amps. These amps are cheap money, sound great, and last forever. One of the great things about out cars is that the trunks are so big that it enhances the bass response more than a smaller trunk - giving the feeling of more bass. I am currently running a 2x 125 watt crunch amp with two 10 inch MTX T4000 Subs in an open box that i bought for 90 bucks at circuit city. It fits perfectly against the back of the rear seat and leaves PLENTY of trunk room. Crutchfield does offer some good deals on closeout stuff... check them out for subwoofers.

Install is a breeze too. All the necessary panels pop right off (as does the rear seat) and makes for a fast, clean, and easy installation. BTW... my system sounds awesome with NO disotortion at all.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Also, if you're looking for cheap amplification, look at eBay. Try finding a Rockford Fosgate Punch 40i or 60ix. You should be able to get them for under $100 each.

Once again this is opinion.

I must agree on the Eclipse comment of a few relies above. I have an old Eclipse head unit that's been working great for 8 years.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
my crunch amp sucks

I have a crunch amp that i got about 4-5 years ago and it doesnt put out clean sound at all. Even to my sub(s). I have to tinker w/ it a LOT to get it to sound half butt. If you want a great amp, get a Rockford amp. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm telling ya Eclipse is better

I'm running 4 2-way eclipse 5X7s, 50X4 amp, and a 3 preout head unit. Without subs and the other 6X9s I'm putting in tonight it still shakes the car and drowns out all that rap crap that I hear coming out of rusted out ricers. P.S. I'm running the 6X9s and the 10" sub off of the Eclipse 85X4 amp.

·
Registered
250 Posts
get two powered 10 inch bazookas.....they are totally indestructible and they sound really nice for the price......i have one of them with factory JBL system and Infinity Reference speakers...sounds sweet
http://www.tccoa.com/rides/bitgar.shtml

·
Registered
65 Posts
J-Rob said:
for the most thump per watt, you probably want to go with a bandpass box.
Whatever you do, do not get a prefab Bandpass box or if you aren't experienced, don't build one yourself either. Bandpass boxes are extremely hard to tune correctly. Get a sealed or Ported box and a nice sub->easiest setup with plenty of thump =)

You probably want to get some sound deadening in your trunk too and doors.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya, just ask a friend to build you a box or get someone's old one. I'm sure there are tons of spare boxes floating around. I'm hopefully getting one from someone that used theirs for some Rockford 10"s. Probably won't cost much. MTX is pretty good, I've got one 10" running off of my amp, for now :D ! I'm bidding on some Sony 12" XPlode subs on ebay. If I get those, I'll probably have 3 subs running off of 2 amps.
I have a 2-channel Pioneer 760 wt. amp. and a 5-channel Blaupunkt BMA200 200wt.(rms?) amp. That'd sound sweet if I get those! Planning on making my back seat fold down too. Spare Cavalier parts. He did a "flip-flop" trunk, which is kinda cool, and I might do that.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

·
Registered
65 Posts
93pimpin said:
Ya, just ask a friend to build you a box or get someone's old one. I'm sure there are tons of spare boxes floating around. I'm hopefully getting one from someone that used theirs for some Rockford 10"s. Probably won't cost much. MTX is pretty good, I've got one 10" running off of my amp, for now :D ! I'm bidding on some Sony 12" XPlode subs on ebay. If I get those, I'll probably have 3 subs running off of 2 amps.
I have a 2-channel Pioneer 760 wt. amp. and a 5-channel Blaupunkt BMA200 200wt.(rms?) amp. That'd sound sweet if I get those! Planning on making my back seat fold down too. Spare Cavalier parts. He did a "flip-flop" trunk, which is kinda cool, and I might do that.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se
Hey, are you a big fan of the MN12s (TBird/Cougars). I sure am. You're ride looks pretty sweet. Im a tbird driver myself. For help w/ the seat folding down thing, check out www.TCCoA.com there's tons of people there who can help you out. All driving the same cars. Post on their new forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
UMM

this is tccoa.com..............

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: UMM

JoelBender said:
this is tccoa.com..............
LOL:D
Oh Sh!t , My bad. I was posting on CarAudioForum at the same time and thought this was caraudioforum for a sec. Both use VBulletin and look similar.

hehe.

Well, at least you know Im recommending people to come here ;)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'm bidding on some subs, I'm sure I'm gonna get them. They're a pair of Sony Xplode Aluminum cone subwoofers, rated at 1200 watts max. They may not be the best, but it's what I can afford at $69 each(plus $12.00 shipping). I do like the looks of them, I wanted to buy them when I first saw them in a Crutchfield mag., but didn't want to spend $140 each, plus shipping. Figured I could buy a RF 15" for cheaper, and get it the same day, over at Art's here. It's a cool store, it is a furniture and appliance store, but they compete in competitions and the stereo room has dozens of trophies, and a wall of subwoofers:D . They turned some 15"s up so loud, I could feel my pants shaking.:D
I haven't done too much in amps in subs until recently. I never knew how to install an amp. I had my amp, subs and wiring for over a year before I finally installed it in the Cougar. I did end up getting rid of the 10 ga. wire and got some 4 ga. which was kinda hard to install for the spot it was running through.

·
Registered
735 Posts
READ

For all that is holy....PLEASE dont do that to yourself or a thunderbird. Seriously, Im low on time but wanted to save you before it was too late. YOU can find better product for just as much money. There is a reason why never would demonstrate those subs in our boom rooms.

I got a lot of experience with this so email me directly for any stereo questions...

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts