TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer has been doing some weird stuff lately. Its been shuting off any game and going to the window screen. So it has just been pissing me off.

Well today I was messing with the computer, painting the case and all. (Im really bored cuz Im stuck in the house with no car and no one elses car to drive :( ) Well I started the computer and smelled something burning/hot, didn't think anything of it because it was running for like 4 hours. Well then my network card wasn't seated in the slot to good so i pushed it in and started the computer up and i touched the video card. The video card was very hot, and I found out the fan on the video card was not spinning.

So I now need to try finding a place to get a new fan for the vid card. Damn $200 video card. I just hope its not messed up. So now I got to run on my other videocard.

Sorry for all of this, just pissed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
do u have a house fan?
i have one of those big squar fans Bungi cored to my case
keeps it nice and cool :)
and if u dont wnana do that tell me what kinda vcard u got and size fan and ill send u one in mail Monday

·
Registered
145 Posts
do you really have a house fan hooked to your machine...doesn't that push in more dust.....?????

Moody Moodz

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem is its a little fan like an inch square. And its not like a normal fan with 4 screws in each corner. So I dont know if it can be replaced. I might have to rig something up to it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
oh yea? try being out 200 bucks cuz your first athlon 2100 bought the farm on account of me being a dumba$$! now its mounted on my server's door (yes i have one of those mini-fridge type cases..)

·
Registered
166 Posts
My puter is 2 1/2 years old, came with a GeForce 2 64mb GTS. It produces quite a bit of heat/power, so the fan is necasary for it to run properly under 3d games. The fan wore out a month ago and I tried to get it replaced, it's pratically impossible and just plain stupid to waste the time and effort to do that. My advice is to just buy a new GeForce 4 card, you can get the economy ones for under a 100 bucks and a GeForceIV 4200 for 200 bucks. If your card is relatively new, then it will be under a warranty and you'd have to call the manufacturer. For my puter, I run a pIII 933mhz, 512mb's of 133mhz sdram, a slot exhaust fan, upgraded copper coil cpu heatsink w/gel. I gained a few mhz's in the 1/4 mile.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Actually it's super easy on any chip.
1) Buy new fan and Arctic Silver Adhesive
2) Pop old one off
3) Put new one on

·
Registered
166 Posts
Where can you buy the smaller sized fans at? I couldn't find a smaller size fan with the right voltage speed and such for the application... I searched ebay, computer sites and some local spots. Nothing with the right size and mounting points.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
You're kidding?

<a href="http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_Code=CPC-ChP">Coolerguys</a> <a href="http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_Code=OC-THRM">Thermal Epoxy</a>

I used a blueorb (BLORB) with arctic silver for over a year now instead of the crappy stock fans and heat pads found on my GF, GF2GTX, GF2MX, and now my Radeon.

I also chopped up an old P2 heat sink and used arctic silver paste to make my own ram sinks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts