TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok not sure what trans i have in my 93 mark viii also having trans reverse issue when i put it on reverse i have to step on the gas peddal hard then it pops screech tires into reverse why is this issue happening ? need some advise like asap :confused:

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
You have a 4R70W. Checked the fluid?

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
ok not sure what trans i have in my 93 mark viii also having trans reverse issue when i put it on reverse i have to step on the gas peddal hard then it pops screech tires into reverse why is this issue happening ? need some advise like asap :confused:
If the fluid is full, could be a weak pump. Here is a posting I put awhile back to identify your 4R70W transmission (I post a lot of good info, but it keeps getting harder and harder to find it - lucky there is SEARCH):

http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1332185&postcount=13

According to the chart, your transmission in your Mark VIII should say F3LP-BA on the identification plate unless it's been changed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the info i have to check the fluids soon its snowing like crazy over here n dont wanna pull my tbird out of the garage but when it stops ill do that and check the m8 fluids i bought the filter kit for it so ill deff know if the fluids are low or not. soon

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok so i check the fluids and i was short a quart then i changed the filter the other one was off laying on the pan and i iwhen i seen the pan magnet there was a lot of metal shaffing so i put the new filter n mercon oil n took it for a text drive it shift better but the reverse was little the same so sould i buy anther tranny unless its simple to fix it i really need someones oppinion right now about this

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
First off, please use periods that way your posts are easier to read. I could care less about the spelling but without periods the meaning is almost lost or at least it's hard to ascertain without reading and rereading.

Okay, now on to your problem. Because of the metal shavings it's obvious that there has been some physical damage done to the tranny. There is no quick fix for this besides replacing the tranny. If you're lucky there may be no further damage and you'll just have the issue with shifting into reverse. You'll have to check the pan for more shavings later to be sure of that. You'll still want a newer tranny as soon as possible or you may be stuck never being able to go into reverse someday.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k thats what i thiught ima get one for 100 it has more miles than the one i have but its in good shape if not ill bring it back and make him eat it nah im jokeing but i hope i get it good if not im gone have to visit allan i heard he got real good s***t :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Are you talking real metal shavings? Or just the fur on the magnet (which is what I'm thinking you mean). ALL transmissions with any use on them get that metal fur on the magnet (that's why it's there), it's just the normal wear and tear. Now if you are talking real metal pieces, like what comes from drilling a hole in metal, that IS a true problem that is not normal.

Oh, and yes, a little punctuation & capitalization would makes your posts easier to read...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a lot of fur on the magnet and sum metal shavings that was on the pan but really not a lot of metal shavings

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
ok so i check the fluids and i was short a quart then i changed the filter the other one was off laying on the pan and i iwhen i seen the pan magnet there was a lot of metal shaffing so i put the new filter n mercon oil n took it for a text drive it shift better but the reverse was little the same so sould i buy anther tranny unless its simple to fix it i really need someones oppinion right now about this
1) Were you SURE to remove the old Filter Gasket fm the Valve Body before installing the new Filter & new Gasket ? - OFTEN the reason Filter is laying in Pan is that somoene left old gasket in last time & hence there were 2 Gaskets in the port so "new" Filter falls out ~!

2) You could very easily have a bad MLPS or even a bad or loose Shift Cable Bracket causing your Reverse issue.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i made sure now with the new filter and fluid intead of popping to reverse it reverese on high rpms. and when i put it on drive it pops a little now. i think its getting toast. there is a 1996 with like 156,000 miles on it on craigslist for 100.00 bucks i might just buy it. u no insurance on the side. i talked to the guy and he said to me that he will put it in writing if it not works he will refund my money back

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
2) You could very easily have a bad MLPS or even a bad or loose Shift Cable Bracket causing your Reverse issue.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
where can i find the mlps do you have a picture on where is located ??
This is an MLPS:

Here is a 4R70W transmission (the MLPS is clearly visible on the side):

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
there is a 1996 with like 156,000 miles on it on craigslist for 100.00 bucks
A 96 V8 tranny won't fit your car. It fits a 4.6l.

IMHO, a 3.8l tranny would need additional work to go into a 5.0l.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 XLT V8
975 Posts
A 96 V8 tranny won't fit your car. It fits a 4.6l.

IMHO, a 3.8l tranny would need additional work to go into a 5.0l.
He is talking about his 93 Mark VIII (4.6 DOHC).

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
How would i know if thats running bad??
You can test it. Again, I've posted how awhile back with voltages and resistances, but it's buried too. Here, I searched and found it - read about it:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1338996&postcount=1

If you unplug the connector, you can check the resistances; if you probe the wires "live", then check the voltage change as you shift the gears. The easiest way to test it is to use a scan tool that will let you monitor the voltage read from the MLPS. Then you don't even have to crawl under the car! LOL

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i bought the 96 transmission for 100.00. so now ill will check the MLPS and the cables too. i just need to know why the pans look diffrent????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts