TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i replaced my radiator like a month ago b/c my car was overheating, and my car is doing way better than before, but not completely fixed it still overheats, did i have to replace anything else like the coolant sending units or anything else????? thanks for the inputs.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
299 Posts
radiator

Did you do the work yourself or did a shop do it? Sounds like you need to flush the block out. Is the thermostat operating properly? What temp is it rated at? Does it have an electric fan or a clutch fan?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, heres the info.

its a 95 3.8 with electric fan, its going to the M in NORM with the a/c on i havent kept the car on enough to see if it goes down, but when im in traffic with the a/c on it will stay in the middle on NORM and on the R, but with the a/c off, it goes to the M and then when the fan kicks in it will go back down, what do you think this is???????? thanks for the help dude. oh i almost forgot i did the work myself, but my car would overheat really bad, so i changed the rad and the car is doing wayyyyy better now.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh i for got my t-stat is a new motorcraft 197.

thanks man.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Radiator Fixes

I would say drop it down to a nice Robertshaw 180 and check the high low settings on the fan. Might be kicking on too late. Might want to change to ratio of your coolant to water mix. There is a great article in the latest Motor Trend I think that explores some of the myths and new advances in coolant technology. The writer suggests that a mix leaning towards a higher coolant content will help shed more heat through the radiator. He provides evidence that even running straight coolant will increase cooling capacities in warm weather climates. He goes further by saying that some heavy shipping companies use Zerex brand coolant in thier diesel engines with a 300,000 mile endurance rating. The Zerex heavy duty type is not available in most parts store but is available to order at online sites which escape mention at this time. My local Autozone carriers the Zerex brand with a 150,000 mile guarantee for use in passenger vehicles. I personally run a mix of 75/25 in my 92 5.0. Even with a stock radiator and underdrive pulleys I run at between 180-185 with a 180 degree thermostat in stop and go city traffic. One other question, did you make sure that there is no air in the system when you filled it? Whenever I change the fluid in my Bird there is always air in there and I have to wait for the engine to purge itself of air and add fluid to the reservoir when I am done driving it. I have to do this about 3 or 4 times and then it is all good. Keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts