TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an awesome running 460. i have a c6. i will get a dual sump fox pan. i am assuming the fox pan will work since a fox 302 pan slid right down in my mn12 on a 351. Now, has anyone found any good tricks for motor mounts?? also, i will be using manifolds since this motor is pretty stock and im not looking for 600 horse, just lots of torque;) , has anyone used manifolds with a stock steering shaft and if so what were they out of? i have access to many old 460 fords and lincolns. also if i use a 850 proform carb, and a carb hat with a k&n in the fenderwell, will i still have to cut my stock hood? thanks in advance!!!!!:)

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
the 302 and 351 pans are different.(bolt pattern wise).
Now depth wise, stock for stock they should be pretty close.
I know that some guys have used early (like early 80's)LTD 351W pans to fit without cutting the k-member.
Now for your application, I don't know if cutting of the k-member will need to be done for the 460 pan. A 7 or 9 quart aftermarket pan will for sure need to cut.

The tranny will fit just fine, for I run a C6 behind my 351W. I had to get my drive shaft cut down around 5 inches. I also had to use the tranny yoke from my donor vehicle(4R70W tranny has a 28 spline yoke, the C6 uses a 31)

I cut my stock hood, so don't fret about that.

Anyway, hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found a little bit of info on one thread. looks like pro street rich is the guy to talk to . RICH! HOLLA!! i will be executing this in the next month or so. the motor is still in the 99 crown vic and runs like hell. friend is in the middle of building an aluminum headed, high compression, ALMOST pump gas friendly 460 to take its place and get this. the 99 vicky is maroon and he is keeping the luxury interior and gonna try to keep the stock alloy wheels and maybe have the rears widened
this vicky is definately interesting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
update the rear (center chunk and half shafts) get a motorsport driveshaft. front springs or air ride to handle the weight. Spend the $30.00 now while its aparts and get the hardned input shaft for the C6 thats its weakest link. With the dual sump oil pan, see if you can get or fabricate a dual pickup, also a windage tray that big crank really pushes the oil to one side.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
and how much does this motor weigh?

Crank alone is over 70lbs from what I remember, 4.6 is about 40lbs for comparision. I have a 514 to finish building for a friend, stock iron heads need about 50 hours of work, aluminum 460 heads are really expensive and compromised unless you use the BB chevy exhaust port configuration (marine use mostly) with custom exhaust work. They are not light engines by any means even with a full dressing of aluminum heads, intake, and water pump. I think you need the truck style rear sump only oil pan for the MN12 K-member.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you think that is bad you should see the dual carb 440 I have, Mopar was trying to save Pittsburgh Steel all by themselves. Skirted big block, monster rods, 80lb crank, 1000+ gram pistons, cast iron water pump housing (and seperate cast iron water pump), etc. I think the 440 has the 460 beat by a good 50 lbs at least.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome To Land Of The God"s !!!

My 460 is lower then a regular swap because I open road race and street race . Get headers right now If you can and save your self the pain I went though . My SUPERCOUPE is 3,950LBS right now. The A-C and supercharger are gonna raise that . And get the bell housing($322.00) and converter($240.00) for the AOD ,I'm going with the C-6 because I'm going nuts with the engine . My SUPERCOUPE came with 3.55-1 gears, I was a monster til I blew the gaskets . You will need a bulge and a aftermarket pulley system($800.00)but the spark plugs are easy to get to. the engine is on the Nevada chapter . The trany mount and crossmember can be used . I did'nt get much flex , but if you plan on 800ftLBS "GET THE 6 POINT CAGE LIKE ME"and get halfshafts and driveshafts made.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks for the input. i will be using a fox 460 pan. not a rear sump. i will be using a hat on the carb to save space. i am not worried at all about the stock rear. i have chunks, shafts, spindles and other parts waiting on breakage. this is not a race motor. its a box stock 460 and i may try to plumb 2 turbo coupe turbos into the mix, under light pressure, maybe 7 psi, and no intercooling other than meth injection. the turbos are cheap, i have a real good friend that does exhaust, its gonna all come together pretty cheaply. i will be using a c6. i may try a couple rear end ratios, but since i am not drag racing this car, and i only have 3 speeds, i may use the 2.73 chunk. as for pullies, im goint to try to use a serpentine setup off a late model 460 truck. it looks like it will even hold my stock ac compressor!!!
its also all aluminum. i will be running an msd rtr dizzy and a 6al. hopefully traction loss will be massive, and loads of tire destroying fun will ensue:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
The 460 truck belt system is way too tall and will not fit, I had to sell mine . Get one for a street rod for less if you can . I'm building mine because of the blower system I'm putting on. The shifter arm and kick-down on the trany will need to be changed for the factory shifter to work and get a extra neutral safty switch off a C-6 to do the wiring . Bolt the shifter bracket to the C-6 . You will have alot of room around the catalitic converter area, but I had no place to put the tube .

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
One of my co-workers spent 1500 bucks on an 89 bird with a 460 sitting in the engine bay and no drivetrain. The k-members is cut out to fit the oil pan, and the steering shaft doesnt fit. Those are the only two major things I know about the car.
-Thomas

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Thomas said:
One of my co-workers spent 1500 bucks on an 89 bird with a 460 sitting in the engine bay and no drivetrain. The k-members is cut out to fit the oil pan, and the steering shaft doesnt fit. Those are the only two major things I know about the car.
-Thomas
sounds like a, hey man that would be cool, lets do it, and then, uhhh, what do we do now????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts