TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this weekend that the mufflers are both rotten at the front seam. So time for some new ones. I would like more rumble from my bird, but want to keep the exhaust exiting in the notches of the rear skirt. Anybody know who would make a slightly louder version of the stock mufflers for these cars? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've always been a Magnaflow man. I'd measure the length of the muffler body, and note the offsets of the inlet and outlet pipes. Then go to Magnaflow's site to pick out the part # which matches.
They make polished tips as well, in a variety.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I have always heard extremely good things about Magnaflows. The problem that I have with them is that they all have stainless steel cases. I like to weld as much of my exhaust system together as possible, and I'm not equipped to weld stainless.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I like the sound of my Flowmaster 40 on my 5.0 tbird. When I had just a 3" diameter cherry bomb on my car w/ no cats, the sound was almost painfully loud at higher RPMs (enough for me to worry about exceeding the 95db limit set by the racetrack). The baffles inside the Flowmaster helped a ton here.

Your cats and a downturned tip like I suspect you will want to stay stock looking would have also helped but that wasn't the look I was going for.

Q: If your muffler is rusted out, how is the pipe upstream of them?
You might find it easy to replace all of this stuff while you are under there (or are paying someone to do the work).
I bought all my mandrel bent pipes from Josh @ Mandrel Exhaust Systems

Youtube is probably a great source for Muffler clips

Flowmaster
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4.6L+thunderbird+flowmaster

Magnaflow
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4.6L+thunderbird+mangaflow

Dynomax Super Turbo
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4.6+thunderbird+dynomax+super+turbo

Borla

Cherry Bombs

·
Registered
412 Posts
S4Gunn, the Flowmasters are the perfect muffler for your car, as they were designed for the track. If my car wasn't a DD, I'd have kept the 40's on it because I love the sound. However, the drone I got from them was maddening. After about a year and a half I removed them and installed a knock off of a Magnaflow performance style muffler. It was recommended by my shop, and I was able to hear it before installing. I don't have a brand name for mine, but the case is an aluminized product.

When I installed the Flowmasters I was not aware of the different designs of mufflers and how they worked. Any reflective style muffler will likely drone. A resonating design, (straight through passage way) such as a glass pack, cherry bomb,etc., will not drone. The factory restrictive, suitcase design with it's many baffles is pretty tame in sound.

FLOWMASTER® HISTORY
Thirty years ago, Flowmaster® mufflers were conceived as a solution to a growing problem with sound issues at race tracks in California and beyond. In his successful effort to quiet race cars without reducing performance, our founder refused to accept the status quo of the day and instead pushed exhaust technology beyond common thinking. This led to many ‘firsts’ in automotive exhaust science, as well as many patents protecting the various technologies used in Flowmaster® products. With those developments, Flowmaster ushered in a revolution in automotive performance exhaust.

I like this article on exhaust systems. Exhaust Function 101 - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
If your car still has cats and the third cat/ resonater, you can go with a pretty aggressive muffler and not worry about it being too loud. The exhaust is pretty muffled before it even gets to the mufflers.

·
Administrator
8,056 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
If your car still has cats and the third cat/ resonater, you can go with a pretty aggressive muffler and not worry about it being too loud. The exhaust is pretty muffled before it even gets to the mufflers.
Very true. I ran with straight pipes in place of the mufflers for years, it was very quiet, Idle to 2000 RPM was barely any louder than stock, and at WOT it was still a bit quieter than my duals with Magnaflow DIDO muffler. The 94-95s use a resonator too so there wasn't much, if any, drone.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's 13216, I'm not sure my pipes are 2", hell my Sonic Turbo is that size and it's a 1.4 liter..... This is a 4X9 oval center-offset muffler (2.5" dia)

The turndown tips for the 2" dia are not very aesthetic...

The polished turndown tip for the 2.5" is 35179

CONFIGURATION CENTER/OFFSET
LENGTH 14 IN
OVERALL LGTH 20 IN
IN/OUT DIA 2.5/2.5 IN
FINISH SATIN

·
Registered
461 Posts

This is mine. Just cut the mufflers off and put on some turn down tips. I don't know if it'll be too loud for what you want but in person its not bad. Just driving around it isn't too loud.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is mine. Just cut the mufflers off and put on some turn down tips. I don't know if it'll be too loud for what you want but in person its not bad. Just driving around it isn't too loud.
Highway drone?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
^^ Waiting to hear about that as well!

That's 13216, I'm not sure my pipes are 2", hell my Sonic Turbo is that size and it's a 1.4 liter..... This is a 4X9 oval center-offset muffler (2.5" dia)

The turndown tips for the 2" dia are not very aesthetic...

The polished turndown tip for the 2.5" is 35179

CONFIGURATION CENTER/OFFSET
LENGTH 14 IN
OVERALL LGTH 20 IN
IN/OUT DIA 2.5/2.5 IN
FINISH SATIN
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
461 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts